Kontrol Z2 microphone audio problem

jo56
jo56 Member Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I have a new Z2. It is fabulous except for microphone which is not working at all as I need. 

I have a SAMSON AIRLINE MICRO EARSET WIRELESS SYSTEM which I have been using for years through a regular mixer with no issues. When i use it through the Z2 the sound is terrible. Firstly i have to have the volume very high for the sound to be heard but more importantly the sound is as if there is echo or reverb added which is not want i want at all. I have turned the microphone tone all the way to the left which makes it marginally better but it is still not usable - I guide movement through speaking over music. As i understand it there are not supposed to be any effects on the microphone on z2 so i am out of ideas. Any help / suggestions / answers much appreciated - Jo

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    Answer ✓

You could take a look here. mic-effects-with-z2.193863

If you're on a Mac and recently did some updates then you'll have to go to the os security/privacy to check and enable Traktor on the microphone settings.

• Wyley
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

@jo56 Try this.

On my s2 I had the same problem for years until I made a mistake. One day, instead of using a balanced cable like I and everybody else normally uses, I used an unbalanced xlr-1/4" cable and behold the mic sounded proper. Running the mic through traktor does makes the volume a bit lower than just through the mixer though.

This is what it looks like. It's an unbalanced mic cable the 1/4" has only a tip and sleeve. This works for my s2 mk2 though but it's worth a shot.

Answers

• Wyley
    Answer ✓

You could take a look here. mic-effects-with-z2.193863

If you're on a Mac and recently did some updates then you'll have to go to the os security/privacy to check and enable Traktor on the microphone settings.

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor

Have you tried connecting a standard wired microphone to test the mic channel on the Z2?

I use a Shure SM58 with my Z2 but I also use a Line 6 XD-v75 wireless mic with my Z2 and both sound great when you have the output at the sweet spot.

I must admit it's not great at very high volumes. Are you driving the mic channel too hard?

Karlos.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

If you speak about echo/reverb. Is not it just feedback? Microphone catching sound from loudspeakers/earphones...

Also, try it with wired mic, like Carlos suggests, might help to sort out the case, there is some kind of defect on your Z1 mic path.

• jo56

Hi Karlos and Kubrak,

Thank you both so much for replies and taking the time.

I think the issue - which both of you indicate by suggesting a wired mic, is that the Z2 mic input requires a dynamic mic and most probably my wireless mic is not dynamic (tho so far i have not been able to find out).

It is definitely not feedback, I am driving the channel hard but only because it is impossible to even hear the mic if i dont. Karlos I am curious if your Line 6 XD-v75 wireless mic is a dynamic mic? I guess it could be a defect on the Z2 mic path.

Jo

• Wyley
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

@jo56 Try this.

On my s2 I had the same problem for years until I made a mistake. One day, instead of using a balanced cable like I and everybody else normally uses, I used an unbalanced xlr-1/4" cable and behold the mic sounded proper. Running the mic through traktor does makes the volume a bit lower than just through the mixer though.

This is what it looks like. It's an unbalanced mic cable the 1/4" has only a tip and sleeve. This works for my s2 mk2 though but it's worth a shot.

• jo56

Hi Wyley, many thanks for your replies, interesting about the cable. I will try that Jo

• Karlos Santos

@jo56 my Line 6 mic is a digital modelling mic. I have it set on the Shure Beta 58a setting.

It would be interesting to know if a wired mic works.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@jo56

If using wireless microphone, it does not matter what type (dynamic/condenser/...) of mic it is.

But what is important is what kind of output it has. It may be balanced or unbalanced. If balanced you should use proper cable to convert it to unbalanced. The jack you plug into S8 should be mono (two sections), not stereo (three sections).

Another issue might be mismatch of impedance of wireles mic output and S8 input. I do not have S8, I have S5 and when using my wired mic the sound has been weak and I had to set S5 to amplify to max and so lots of noise... Using line matching transformer by Shure (A85F) made the trick. At least for me.

• Karlos Santos

@jo56, @Kubrak makes an excellent point. If you are using a balanced cable you will certainly have issues.

I use an unbalanced cable for my SM58 and if I use the Line 6 mic on its own I use the unbalanced output.

Also, the mismatch of impedance may also be an issue. You can buy a simple microphone/line booster or do use a small mixer before the mic input. I use an Allen & Heath Zed 6 Compact because I sometimes use a wired SM58 + Line 6 wireless mic at the same time, straight into the Z2.

Karlos.

• jo56

Kubrak and Karlos really thank you for all your info. and thoughts. An update and the solutions i have found.

I am happy to say I now have 2 solutions which i only got to try at a gig yesterday

1. My wired Sure Sm58 - sounds fine with a balance cable into 1/4 inch jack mic input of Z2
    2. My wireless samsung airline sounds good when connected into mic Aux / Mic Aux input (I had been using the 1/4 inch jack mic input - ie this was the main problem). The master volume does need to be quite high but it is sounding good.

For info. The inputs and outputs of Z2 and my wireless mic are as follows.

Samsung Airline microphone spec

Impedance 1/8" / 3.5 mm Input: 600 Ohms (Balanced)

Audio I/O 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Female Unbalanced Output

Audio Output Level -10 dBV (Line Level) -30 dBV (Mic Level)

Z2 Microphone input

Input impedance 4.75kOhm differential

Maximum input level -9.5dBu

Thank you for this thread, really helpful

Warmly

Jo