How do I locate/change location of Reaktor content in the new Native Access?

Paul B
Paul B Member Posts: 53 Helper

I've just bought a new M2 Pro Mac. I'm reinstalling everything because I'm moving from an Intel Mac and want to start fresh due to the change in CPU architecture.

All my content is on an external SSD.

I can easily relocate my Kontakt libraries. Some show an install button instead of a locate button but clicking the three dots offers a locate option.

Where I'm having trouble is Reaktor content like the factory library and blocks. I am only offered an install option. I have a staging location for installing and then I move things to where I really want them. In Native Access 1 this was simple. In the new NA, there is no 'locate' option for Reaktor content, only an Install button. If I install to my staging area, then try to change the installation path (the option now appears) it opens an actual Finder window, and there is no way to select the new path (no buttons, etc., because it's not a file dialog, it's a Finder window). I can browse to it, but not select it as a new path.

How do I use my Reaktor content from a different location like I could with NA1? Is this just broken? If it's broken, is it on the roadmap to fix soon? If not, will NA1 work on an M2/M1 Mac?

This is really frustrating, and it's surprising that this long after release the new NA has such fundamental bugs rendering it less functional than NA1.

In the meantime, I am going to use the staging area for my Reaktor content so I can get on with making music. But I hope this gets fixed soon.

Best Answer

• Paul B
    Answer ✓

Thanks. I'll see if I can fix the Reaktor content paths using copied plist or other configuration files (after backing up current files). I'm trying to avoid copying anything across that isn't already on my externals, because I want to be sure whatever is on my M2 Mac is correctly configured for M2 and doesn't have leftover Intel data, but plist and similar files are probably safe.

I thankfully haven't had to download anything except the official NI Reaktor content (which was less than 1GB, and I have a decent line – the annoyance is only about location) and reinstall AU/VST, which I am deliberately not copying over as I have various plugins which I know will never get Apple silicon updates, and I want my Ableton Live sets to break now, not at some unexpected future date when Rosetta stops working. That way I can sort out replacement plugins, or render those tracks to audio on my old laptop before it dies (which, the way it is behaving, may not be long). All Kontakt libraries, including third party, and even third party Reaktor content like Toybox Audio, I was able to use relocate in NA2. What failed was only the official Reaktor Blocks content and the Reaktor factory library. Which is now installed on the external in a shared content directory.

Despite my frustration here, overall the process of relocating content and reinstalling AU/VST wasn't bad. NA2 needs 'relocate all' where it searches for content in a given root location and automatically sets the paths, but NA1 didn't have that either. I'd prefer feature parity with NA1 first, then add nice extras like that.

Answers

• RudraMantras
    RudraMantras Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

i had the same thing with the older NA1 yesterday "crashed hard drive"... I only had an option to download also when i thought i had copied all the files over from a backup...

you need to copy all "native instruments " folders from the system library over to the new mac. there are xml files etc that the native access needs to see so you can do what you used to do.

copy all com.native-instruments."......".plist files from" old mac" /library/preferences

copy folder "native instruments" from" old mac" /library/application support

I got around it after finding & copying all files, preferences etc over & didnt even need to download anything.... native access allowed me to locate like you said to fix some kontakt librarys etc, hopefully this does work for you with na2...

if it still doesnt work also check your "user library" application support etc for NI files as well if it doesnt work, I cant remember if it had some files in there too of thetop of my head...

• RudraMantras
    RudraMantras Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

also check the "/users/shared/..... " folder for Ni files, if it still doesnt work...

• Paul B
    Answer ✓

Thanks. I'll see if I can fix the Reaktor content paths using copied plist or other configuration files (after backing up current files). I'm trying to avoid copying anything across that isn't already on my externals, because I want to be sure whatever is on my M2 Mac is correctly configured for M2 and doesn't have leftover Intel data, but plist and similar files are probably safe.

I thankfully haven't had to download anything except the official NI Reaktor content (which was less than 1GB, and I have a decent line – the annoyance is only about location) and reinstall AU/VST, which I am deliberately not copying over as I have various plugins which I know will never get Apple silicon updates, and I want my Ableton Live sets to break now, not at some unexpected future date when Rosetta stops working. That way I can sort out replacement plugins, or render those tracks to audio on my old laptop before it dies (which, the way it is behaving, may not be long). All Kontakt libraries, including third party, and even third party Reaktor content like Toybox Audio, I was able to use relocate in NA2. What failed was only the official Reaktor Blocks content and the Reaktor factory library. Which is now installed on the external in a shared content directory.

Despite my frustration here, overall the process of relocating content and reinstalling AU/VST wasn't bad. NA2 needs 'relocate all' where it searches for content in a given root location and automatically sets the paths, but NA1 didn't have that either. I'd prefer feature parity with NA1 first, then add nice extras like that.

• Paul B

Small follow up: I've decided to use my 'external-drive-path/Native Instruments/Content' folder for all NI installed content, including Kontakt libraries such as Pharlight, etc. It's just easier. So I moved everything there. I'll still keep third party stuff (Orange Tree, Toybox, etc.) in separate directories, because there's only so much I can do to counter my brain's insistence on specific organisational hierarchies, and that's limited (for now) to "It's all NI native content so it can be in a single shared NI location."