Do you need a NI keyboard to use Komplete Kontrol?

Detonate
Detonate Member Posts: 3 Member

If i open Komplete Kontrol i can scroll through my samples and listen to them, but when i double click on the sample to open it in the audio engine window, i get no sound, and nothing plays. Instruments will load, but i get no sound from them either.

I am using a computer keyboard, what should trigger the sample to play in the audio engine player, space bar, left mouse, or do i need a NI keyboard?

Thank you!!

Best Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 367 Pro
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

As far as I know according to the manual you only trigger it in KK with a piano/midi keyboard

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

Computer keyboard cannot act as the MIDI input for KK. It will work with ANY midi keyboard, but not the computer keyboard.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

To trigger audio in KK Stand Alone version you must have some kind of MIDI input (generally a keyboard), but it does NOT specifically have to be an NI keyboard. It must be available in the KK SAL <EDIT/PREFERENCES/MIDI> section for input.

However, if you are using a KK as a plugin in you DAW, but don't have an actual MIDI keyboard, most DAWS will have the ability to set up and use a "virtual keyboard", such as your QUERTY computer keyboard, with the C4 octave 'usually' triggered by the home row (asdfghjkl;). Look to see if that helps.

Also; if you choose <EDIT VIEW> in KK SAL like this:

and then <Keyboard> from this menu:

You will see a 'mousable' virtual keyboard at the bottom of the window;

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 367 Pro

As far as I know according to the manual you only trigger it in KK with a piano/midi keyboard

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

Computer keyboard cannot act as the MIDI input for KK. It will work with ANY midi keyboard, but not the computer keyboard.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

To trigger audio in KK Stand Alone version you must have some kind of MIDI input (generally a keyboard), but it does NOT specifically have to be an NI keyboard. It must be available in the KK SAL <EDIT/PREFERENCES/MIDI> section for input.

However, if you are using a KK as a plugin in you DAW, but don't have an actual MIDI keyboard, most DAWS will have the ability to set up and use a "virtual keyboard", such as your QUERTY computer keyboard, with the C4 octave 'usually' triggered by the home row (asdfghjkl;). Look to see if that helps.

Also; if you choose <EDIT VIEW> in KK SAL like this:

and then <Keyboard> from this menu:

You will see a 'mousable' virtual keyboard at the bottom of the window;

• Detonate
    Detonate Member Posts: 3 Member

Thank you for the replies, greatly appreciated everyone!!

Installed this due to a NI video going over this program, and looked like a great way to organize samples/hits. Said it could be used with or without a midi keyboard, it just didn't mention needing one for triggering the sounds in the player, sampler, and any instruments/vst's opened inside of Kontrol.