NI Instruments and "Built-in" Unwanted Automation

DavidArsham
DavidArsham Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi all, I'm new here and relatively new to NI software and hardware so forgive me if this has been asked before. Honestly I'm not sure what search terms to use to see if there have been other posts already.

My question is about how automation works with NI instruments. It seems that across a lot of NI software instruments and their presets, there are certain automation parameters baked in. For example, on Play Series instruments with a balance control, I can record a performance, decide I want to change the balance of the two sounds after the fact, but when I playback the performance the knob jumps back to the original position. I've noticed this on other parameters (such as reverb, etc.) as well depending on the preset. I haven't seen anything like this with other software instrument manufacturers before.

So my question is twofold:

1: What's the easiest way to override this automation after a performance has been played in? Does it show up with other midi automation data or is it a foundational part of how these instruments work?

2: Is there a way to disable/reenable this behavior entirely?

I'm using Logic Pro 10.7.6

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,038 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

native automation works like with other plugins too. If i record automation the only way to get the parameter back to a position and don´t move is to disable "read" or clear automation for that parameter. Or maybe i don´t get what you mean. And if you want to change the position after creating automation you of course have to edit that automation, or disable as mentioned.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

A lot of automation parameters are not assigned specifically to MIDI CC's, but are RPN or NRPN automation. Try to record the automation by arming the automation lane in the actual instrument track, not just in the MIDI track that drives it.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,038 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

native automation works like with other plugins too. If i record automation the only way to get the parameter back to a position and don´t move is to disable "read" or clear automation for that parameter. Or maybe i don´t get what you mean. And if you want to change the position after creating automation you of course have to edit that automation, or disable as mentioned.