USB No midi from Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Custom Blue
Custom Blue Member Posts: 33 Member

I have done several reinstalls to no avail. I note that in System Devices - USB Devices there is only an IAD File and there is no DFU. Keyboard is light up and I can scroll through presets using Komplet Kontrol. My DAW is not recognizing my keyboard. Bottom line there is no MIDI either in or out. Lets hope I am doing something stupid here rather than it being something major. Any help appreciated.

Best Answer

• Custom Blue
    Answer ✓

RESOLVED. Let me publicly express my thanks Niall who after several mails sorted the problem out. The culprit was CCleaner and the only solution was a completely new install of Windows 11. Within CCleaner when cleaning the registry you have the option to backup before making any changes and this I always did. I thought the solution whould be to do what CC call a Backup Merge, to before the Komplete Kontrol problem would be much easier than reinstaling Windows 11. Bottom line CC's Backup Merge does not work and their support is unable to offer a workable solution. Komplete KontrolS61 Mk1 is now working perfectly. If Admin could mark this as being resolved I would appreciate it.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Are you using the original USB cable for the keyboard, just because some USB are low quality or the wrong wire guage and I have seen people have issues. Also, is it connected direct to the PC or via a HUB. Lastly, any unrecognised USB drvices?

TBH I am not even sure what the IAD device is

• Custom Blue

System Specs:- Windows 11 PC. RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable). Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz  2.59 GHz

• Custom Blue

Thank you Jester, yes it is the original NI cable and I have checked using another cable, also changed USB ports etc. No there are no unrecognised USB Ports. I have raised a support ticket but if someone can help sort it before hand I can always cancel it.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited February 2023

@Custom Blue You should check these steps:

My KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboard Does Not Start

My Native Instruments Hardware Device is Not Recognized

In some cases reinstalling the Bome driver can fix similar issues:

And if all this fails, you should test it on another computer, if it's the same it's a hardware problem and you should get in touch with our hardware department: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• Custom Blue

Many thanks Jeremy unfortunately none of these measures has had any effect. Current situation is in the Device Manager as per image.

In the Task Manager Services as below:-

Keyboard is in midi mode and all keys have blue lights and there is clearly some communication via the usb cable as I can open Komplete Kontrol and Press Browse works. I can scroll through and hear samples. The down side still no midi and my DAW cannot see my Komplete Kontrol S61. Sadly I do not have another PC to test it out on which means I have two options send it away for repair and/or buy another Keyboard Controller. Unless of course any other options are possible.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

I have no answers, but I'll play devil's advocate and ask dumb questions.

• Do you have the power supplly attached?
    • Are your ports USB 2.0 - recommended in the trouble shooting guide
    • Is it possible that standard MIDI I/O clashes with USB and Power supply?
    • Have you tested it as standalone with Midi Out and Power Supply?

I know it should work without the B-S, just planting seeds of thought

• Custom Blue

Many thanks and the answers:-

Power Supply Attached Yes

USB 2.0 Yes

MIDI I/O Clashes with USB and Power Supply. I have no idea and no idea on how to check that. Certainly the keyboard will not run without the power supply connected.

Have I tested it as Standalone. I cannot use it otherwise as none of my DAW's will recognise it. In standalone in Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol there is simply no midi I/O.

So we have the keyboard as normal, keys light up and brighten when pressed. I can open Kontakt but cannot use it as no midi I/O. I can open Komplete Kontrol and browse and can scrole through sounds and hear them but once again I cannot play anything as there is no midi I/O.

I have done everything suggest in all the articles about problems from changing the cable, changing the USB Port, uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. I suppose to put it simply there is no midi information going from my keyboard through the USB Cable. As a last effort I have just ordered a new USB cable which will get delivered on Friday to try. However I am convinced that there is nothing wrong with the original cable as it has been fixed in my home studio and never been moved since I purchased the S61 in 2016/17. All very strange and frustrating not to mention costly LOL.

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

From what I read the power supply is for using as a standalone device. That would mean using standard MIDI plugged into a device that receives midi. A sound Module, another keyboard or a drum machine etc.

And second I was sure this is a USB powered keyboard that does not require the power supply when used as a USB device.

DId I misunderstand you?

• Custom Blue

Lastly and it could or could not be relevant. I have a recorded midi track playing back in Bitwig and when the notes are played they are lighting up on my keyboard. That suggests to me that midi information is being passed down that cable. This raises the question if midi information is also being sent out why it is not being seen or recognised by Kontak, Komplete Kontrol or my DAW's. Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him LOL.

• Custom Blue

Lets make this one lastly LOL

As you can see the Firmware Updater is not seeing the keyboard although it is connected.

• Custom Blue

Hello Gee-Flat,

Sorry I regard stand alone as any application outside of a DAW. My Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 only powers on if it is plugged into a power supply and as such has been plugged in all these years and only turned on and off on the button. Quite simply if its not plugged in it doesn't turn on.

Best,

Gerry

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

9.4. Using the Keyboard as Stand-Alone MIDI Controller

If you power up the KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard 'without a USB connection' (while the powersupply is connected), you can use it as a stand-alone MIDI controller by connecting MIDI devices to the 5-pin DIN MIDI sockets on the keyboard’s rear panel. The keybed and the controls on the keyboard send out MIDI messages according to the default Template for stand-alone operation.

🙄

For the record, I've never used one and never owned one. But I know how to read.

• Custom Blue

Certainly not going to arrgue with you but according to Sweetwater this also means standalone:- An example of software is a virtual instrument that can run on its own without being used as a plug-in in an audio/MIDI sequencer.

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

Sweetwater can love me... ☺️

I can understand the confusion on your part. But in this case its used in reference to your hardware.

• Custom Blue

LOL Blowed or not any VST that can be used on its own, as in outside of a DAW or Sequencer; is a Stand Alone application. In this case not what you meant but certainly what I meant. Sadly in either case I am still up the creek without a paddle and now debating if I should uninstall everything Native Instruments on my PC and start from a clean sweep. Although I am not sure uninstalling Komplete Ultimate 12 will solve anything with regard to my keyboard.