Maschine+ Ableton Link Sync Start/Stop

Trevor Meier
Trevor Meier Member Posts: 69 Advisor

I'm trying out Maschine+ with Ableton Link. It connects to other devices and stays in sync with tempo, but it doesn't seem to send or receive start/stop messages.

Do others have this problem? Any way around it? I've tried MIDI clock sync, but Maschine+ MIDI clock is very unstable compared to other clocks I have in my system.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Yep, it does not.

Ableton added start/stop to Link 3.0 in 2018 but NI probably never updated their implementation, they might be still using the 2016 Link 2 version 🤷‍♂️

https://github.com/Ableton/link/releases

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,285 mod

Well, Ableton Link doesn't offer the start stop, it has to be launched per device. It can be great for some setups, where you can start, stop and restart one device at a time but not so great when you actually need the start/stop sync.

The Maschine MIDI clock when it's the master needs some improvement, I'm not sure when this will be done. Maybe you could set another MIDI device to act as master clock and put the M+ as slave.

• D-One
    edited February 2023

It actually does support it Jeremy, read my post above. (we were prob writing at the same time)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,285 mod

Ha! Oh boy! @D-One Thanks for correcting me again on this one. Now that I think about it I'm afraid it's not the first time (hopefully I will remember this time). I actually reported that 10 months ago and the reply was that it would not be implemented in the near future. Time to bring that Ableton Link 3.0 to the devs once again, I forwarded them your screenshot as well.

• D-One
    Answer ✓

No prob. Thank you for bringing this up with them again.

• Trevor Meier
    Trevor Meier Member Posts: 69 Advisor

Thanks for the answer @D-One and for bringing it to their attention again @Jeremy_NI !

• SURESH RAJA
    SURESH RAJA Member Posts: 1 Member

Will this ever be implemented? I want keep Maschine software running independently and run Ableton separately. Start stop sync would be good to have in Maschine software. Are there any arounds? I tried sending MIDI clock out from Maschine and put Ableton as slave but it did not work.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    edited July 2023

To add informations to the discussion: Ableton link 3.0 start/stop usually can be toggled on/off, just to cover all the setups you are naming.

And…if it happens to you to bring the question to the developers once again, tell them that little implementations like this one that would not cause them a big effort are exactly what would keep users quiet seeing some improvement being made (and not the usual “we get ignored” and “everything is abandoned” feelings). And would also show that they have a little love towards their product…

iPad apps that are a single developer project and that cost 5 bucks update these kind of things. I don’t think asking a big company like NI something like this is excessive