TRAKTOR PRO 3 crashes on S3 connected

Hello,

I have an S3 (MK 1 I guess) for a while not playing with it, while using and updating TRAKTOR PRO 3 more often without problems. Can use it with AKAI AMX controller or AUDIO 2 MK 1 sound card. I'm on always up-to-date Win11 64bit. But when S3 is connected TRAKTOR crashes always. S3 seems to be recognized correctly, lights flash as expected, TRAKTOR asks to "Activate device" with "Switch audio to Traktor Kontrol S3", clicking "Yes" shows "Traktor Kontrol S3 has been connected. Do you want to switch Mixer FX and tempo fader range to the default setting?" – and at this moment software crashes. Nothing happens, a bit later the wind title shows "not reacting" (in German) and a bit later I am asked to close or wait for program.

This is reproducible when I restore "S3" to default in preferences [3], otherwise TRAKTOR crashes with no dialog shown. Playing around with connecting and disconnecting the USB cable shows Traktor is reacting immediately when I disconnect and stops working on re-connecting. For example with some luck I have seen S3 in audio configuration dialog. I never had a stable state, I never had UI reacting to controller actions like moving faders.

I tried a lot of support tips found here. I completely removed all Native software and reinstalled Native Access, TRAKTOR and Controller Editor. Usually there is no entry for my "S3" in the audio configuration, so there is no "WASAPI (Exclusive Mode)" available [2].

I have not found problems in device manager. Maybe somebody can tell me where the correctly connected S3 is listed there, I do see "Traktor Kontrol S3" in "Sound video and game controller", two "Line (Traktor Kontrol S3)" in "Audio inputs and outputs" and "Traktor Kontrol S3 DFU" in "Universal Serial Bus devices". With no marked problem.

In services there is only one entry, just "NIHardwareService" (which is running) but no "NIHostIntegrationAgent" – before and after reinstallation. Is the documentation [1] not up to date? Or where can I get the missing service?

I'm completely lost, right now this S3 is just a very expensive brick 😪

[1] https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4410096148113

[2] https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000520317

[3] https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210275045

[4] https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209569069

Best Answers

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod
    Answer ✓

Our support asked you to run a test with the latest Public Beta version (which can be found H E R E ). Have you done that? If so, please report the result via the existing ticket.

@HighFidelity Please do so as well.

After all, with the WASAPI (Exclusive) driver not being available, I tend to suspect Windows though (as Traktor can actually not influence whether the operating system offers its own native audio driver).

Another way to troubleshoot would be testing ASIO4ALL.

That said, please report all outcomes directly via your support tickets. THX!

• HighFidelity
    HighFidelity Member Posts: 8 Member
    Answer ✓

@Mark_NI While version 3.8.0-RC does not change anything (nice that the installer offers selection of what drivers to install) – ASIO4ALL did the trick. Installing, choosing in Audio settings and connecting S3 lets get audio out and TRAKTOR responding to controller. Great, thank you.

(Not sure if this is solution or workaround, but it made my day...)

• HighFidelity
    Answer ✓

After that support contacted me once more with another option. Which now seems to be the final step from workaround to real solution.

1. Install latest firmware update 1.2.0 [1] (which to be honest I already did before all this mess, I forgot to mention).
    2. In Windows device manager uninstall the entry "Traktor Kontrol S3" in "Sound video and game controller".
    3. Restart Windows. Device will be detected, installed again.

Now in TRAKTORs Audio Setup I also have the wanted "Traktor Controller S3 (WASAPI (Exclusive Mode))" option, and I can use it.

[1] https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/#traktorkontrols3

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,035 mod
    edited February 2023

You could try to go to device manager, and set it to show all devices, disconnect the S3 before. Then uninstall all devices with drivers when asked. Then reinstall drivers and after that connect the S3. You don't need the hostintegreation agend, this is for other controllers and DAW integration.

• HighFidelity

Sorry, would you mind explaining it a bit more in detail? Maybe somethings lost in translation (I do work with German Windows), maybe it's a bit vague, maybe I'm still lost? Device Manager, view menu, "Show hidden devices". What option on listing, "Devices by connection"? What to uninstall, what do you mean "with drivers when asked"? To "reinstall drivers" I need to uninstall the whole product again I guess, as S3 has no driver download, and no uninstall listing entry?

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,719 mod

Maybe you started up the beta version missing critical qml files. Which version of Traktor Pro are you using?

• HighFidelity

@Uwe303 Sorry, was I rude or counterproductive when asking for further explanation? Would really try to remove device drivers when it makes sense for solving this issue.

@Sûlherokhh No, as far as I remember I always installed release versions. Right now I have a quite fresh install (as explained above) using Native Access (3.1.0), so TRAKTOR PRO is at 3.7.1.337.

Any chance to see what needed qml file is (not) available? There is a "Native Instruments\Traktor Pro 3\Resources64\qml\CSI\S3\" which contains seven qml files.

• Markovicz

Hi @HighFidelity,

I think this rather complex case requires a colleague from Tech Support to have a closer look. Please refer to the DJ Solution Wizard which also allows you to open a support ticket.

• Cyrus Drango
    Cyrus Drango Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2023

I also have this same issue. When I created a support ticket they directed me here. Right now it is unusable because of the crashes. Does anyone have any fixes? I’ve tried everything I can think of.

• HighFidelity
    edited February 2023

@Cyrus Drango I'm still in the very beginning of the support ticket process with no luck till now. But got response, tried first things and hope they will be able to help...

One nice thing I saw today: When I start TRAKTOR before the "Switch audio to Traktor Kontrol S3" dialog the UI reflects the settings of the controller, for instance changed crossfader position or GAIN knob... Also have seen my controller working on another Windows system (with alike software versions). I'm pretty sure this is a TRAKTOR software issue and can be solved.

• Markovicz
    Answer ✓

Our support asked you to run a test with the latest Public Beta version (which can be found H E R E ). Have you done that? If so, please report the result via the existing ticket.

@HighFidelity Please do so as well.

After all, with the WASAPI (Exclusive) driver not being available, I tend to suspect Windows though (as Traktor can actually not influence whether the operating system offers its own native audio driver).

Another way to troubleshoot would be testing ASIO4ALL.

That said, please report all outcomes directly via your support tickets. THX!

• HighFidelity
    Answer ✓

@Mark_NI While version 3.8.0-RC does not change anything (nice that the installer offers selection of what drivers to install) – ASIO4ALL did the trick. Installing, choosing in Audio settings and connecting S3 lets get audio out and TRAKTOR responding to controller. Great, thank you.

(Not sure if this is solution or workaround, but it made my day...)

• HighFidelity
    Answer ✓

After that support contacted me once more with another option. Which now seems to be the final step from workaround to real solution.

1. Install latest firmware update 1.2.0 [1] (which to be honest I already did before all this mess, I forgot to mention).
    2. In Windows device manager uninstall the entry "Traktor Kontrol S3" in "Sound video and game controller".
    3. Restart Windows. Device will be detected, installed again.

Now in TRAKTORs Audio Setup I also have the wanted "Traktor Controller S3 (WASAPI (Exclusive Mode))" option, and I can use it.

[1] https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/#traktorkontrols3

• HighFidelity

@Uwe303 Sorry, was I rude or counterproductive when asking for further explanation? Would really try to remove device drivers when it makes sense for solving this issue.

@Sûlherokhh No, as far as I remember I always installed release versions. Right now I have a quite fresh install (as explained above) using Native Access (3.1.0), so TRAKTOR PRO is at 3.7.1.337.

Any chance to see what needed qml file is (not) available? There is a "Native Instruments\Traktor Pro 3\Resources64\qml\CSI\S3\" which contains seven qml files.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,719 mod

Do you have a backup folder in the main Traktor directory with previous installed versions? If so, you can check in the respective qml folder of a working past version to see what's there/different. Alternatively you can make a safety copy of the (main) qml folder, delete the (main) qml folder and replace it with the (working, past version) qml folder.

• lisandro
    lisandro Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello! @HighFidelity I recently got the S3 and the same thing happens to me. Once I uninstall the driver, restart my laptop and plug in the S3 everything works fine. If I plug it out and plug it in again the app crashes.

@Mark_NI are there any suggestions??

• Markovicz

Hi @lisandro, it would be great to see what is actually happening - could you please shoot a brief clip and post it here? THX!