Native Access Application Folder access?

Kymeia
Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
edited February 2023 in Native Access

I keep seeing NA2 flagging up my Applications folder as having access issues (although it hasn't affected installs)

When I check my folder permissions only 'everyone' is set to 'read only' but if I click the lock and enter my admin password I can set that to read and write too and for a while the red flag goes away, sometimes as much as several weeks, but it keeps coming back - something seems to want that folder to be read only for 'everyone' although I'm not sure why NA2 counts as 'everyone' as I granted NA2 full disk access ages ago.

Best Answer

• Andreas_NI
    Andreas_NI Customer Care Posts: 30 mod
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

Your application being marked red and invalid is only a cosmetic issue in Native Access. In our newest updated version you should not see this application folder marked red and invalid, so I recommend updating your Native Access version. However, users irritated by this can resolve it via the following steps:

1. rename existing “Native Instruments” in Macintosh HD > Applications to “Native Instruments 1"
    2. create a new folder and name it “Native Instruments”
    3. move all the folders that are in the “Native Instruments 1" directory into the “Native Instruments” folder
    4. delete the now empty “Native Instruments 1" folder

Answers

• MrCee
    MrCee Member Posts: 60 Advisor
    edited February 2023

I see the same behaviour although I'm not experiencing an issue.

Are you trying to change permissions of the /Applications folder or the NI Applications location which is /Applications/Native Instruments?

Note that on MacOS the /Applications folder should have 'Everyone' = Read only. Don't change this root folder. The correct permissions for /Applications folder is as per your screen grab. 'System' and 'Admin' = Read & Write. 'Everyone' = Read only

/Applications/Native Instruments should show 'System' and 'Wheel' = Read & Write and 'Everyone' = Read only.

If you are not experiencing a further software issue then this is potentially just a bug in the GUI which has not impacted me so far.

• Andreas_NI
    Andreas_NI Customer Care Posts: 30 mod
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

Your application being marked red and invalid is only a cosmetic issue in Native Access. In our newest updated version you should not see this application folder marked red and invalid, so I recommend updating your Native Access version. However, users irritated by this can resolve it via the following steps:

1. rename existing “Native Instruments” in Macintosh HD > Applications to “Native Instruments 1"
    2. create a new folder and name it “Native Instruments”
    3. move all the folders that are in the “Native Instruments 1" directory into the “Native Instruments” folder
    4. delete the now empty “Native Instruments 1" folder

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

Thanks but I am on the latest version I think

• iwannapretzel
    iwannapretzel Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hey, I realize I'm months late on this thread, but I found it when Googling the same issue earlier today. I managed to solve it just now and wanted to come back and post here on the off chance it helps anyone in the future who sees this in the situation I was in earlier.

Context- Got a new external hard drive, on which I store a lot of Native Instruments/Native Access products. Tried pretty much everything to get things onto the new extHD and no matter what I did, got this red exclamation mark both in the Preferences section of Native Access when I tried to set the file paths. Also, though, when I did a full reinstall of anything with these new file paths onto my extHD, the installation would say successful- and from what I can tell it, it was- but the exclamation mark next to the product in the NA library view showed it's orange exclamation point and the "repair" option, as if it couldn't find what it had just reinstalled. If you clicked on that and selected relocate, it would be pointing to the correct location on the new extHD already; if you clicked on that to reconfirm that location, it would give a successful confirmation, but nothing would change. Although the actual products seem to be functional- or at least correctly installed on a technical file level- I assume this will lead to issues on more than one level.

This was driving me absolutely insane all day. I even uninstalled literally everything related to Native Instruments on my computer (deep dive into all the internal HD contents, .plist files, etc like NI instructs) and reinstalled it all. Thought this was working when I reopened the newly installed NA because it showed the option to install each product as if it were new, but as soon as I tried to set the installation path to the extHD and do the install, exact same thing happened. Maddening. Getting a new computer soon so I figure if NA can't figure this out, when the time comes for that it's going to be hell.

Solution- saw another person post with my same problem elsewhere on here, saying he changed the name of his drive and it worked, but he didn't know why and it didn't work for another person in the thread. Turns out this was the answer for me, but because of a specific reason. When I set up my folders in this new drive, the first folder had a "/" character in the name, while none of the folders on my old extHD did. I've noticed in Maschine before when saving FX presets etc that it can't handle certain special characters; for example, it tries to convert "/" to ":" - didn't think much of it because it would either give me an error or interpret it how it preferred. As soon as I removed it from the name of the folder in the installation paths for NA though, everything was good as new- no problems at all.

TLDR, because that was far too long- if you're experiencing an error like this, make 100% sure that no special characters are in the names of your drive or anything along the file path (maybe certain characters like ":" will work but I don't remember which ones it doesn't like and which ones it does). It appears NI software cannot interpret this across the board, and NA will not give you any sort of specific error message to help you figure this out.

cheers