Driver: WASAPI Exclusive = no sound in browser anymore

H1i
H1i Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi, I have a beginner problem with the settings. When I change the audio driver in Kontrol settings from WASAPI shared to exclusive mode, the audio output in the browser stops. When I try the ASIO driver, the Kontrol app crashes completely. My Realtek onboard Sound is probably not compatible. That's why I try to take the Wasapi excluisive mode. I want to use the cakewalk DAW and try to set it up. If I set ASIO in the cakewalk settings , I get an error, that my Realtek driver is not compatible. The Mainboard I use is an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. What can I do to get ASIO or WASAPI exclusive to run?

Best Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,114 Expert
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

This is how "WASAPI (Exclusive Mode)" works. As the name suggests, only one application can access the driver in Exclusive mode - which is Komplete Kontrol. You may want to stick to "WASAPI (Shared)" in that case. Worth noting: ASIO is set to exclusive mode by default.

As for the ASIO-Realtek issue, it's hard to say what is happening there. I'd suggest to make sure that everything is set-up correctly (check the sample rate, for instance) and maybe update your Realtek Audio Driver.

Also, maybe try out ASIO4ALL (exclusive mode only) or, better, FlexASIO (no exclusive mode).

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

Short answer, get a better audio interface :)

WASAPI "Exclusive" as the name suggests sets operation to only one application at a time, same as ASIO, that is a single application audio driver only.

WASAPI is the wwindows managed audio system which is fine for general "low priority" audio tasks such as watching videos, playing games and such but with a DAW that demands MUCH higher priority since the audio is being generated in Real-Time so it can require an audio system that is capable of that.

On-board audio devices are built to a cost, a very low and generic cost, so they are aimed at the low priority end. You can try and install something like ASIO4ALL which can try and do the best it can do with what you have, but that can be a hit/miss affair and sometimes is more frustrating than worth.

If you really want the best out your system with low latency to allow you to play in real-time and not with a large delay or crackles in your audio, consider a decent USB audio interface. NI do a capable one, otherwise there are options such as RME, Focusrite and many others to suit budget and requirements.

Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,114 Expert
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

This is how "WASAPI (Exclusive Mode)" works. As the name suggests, only one application can access the driver in Exclusive mode - which is Komplete Kontrol. You may want to stick to "WASAPI (Shared)" in that case. Worth noting: ASIO is set to exclusive mode by default.

As for the ASIO-Realtek issue, it's hard to say what is happening there. I'd suggest to make sure that everything is set-up correctly (check the sample rate, for instance) and maybe update your Realtek Audio Driver.

Also, maybe try out ASIO4ALL (exclusive mode only) or, better, FlexASIO (no exclusive mode).

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

Short answer, get a better audio interface :)

WASAPI "Exclusive" as the name suggests sets operation to only one application at a time, same as ASIO, that is a single application audio driver only.

WASAPI is the wwindows managed audio system which is fine for general "low priority" audio tasks such as watching videos, playing games and such but with a DAW that demands MUCH higher priority since the audio is being generated in Real-Time so it can require an audio system that is capable of that.

On-board audio devices are built to a cost, a very low and generic cost, so they are aimed at the low priority end. You can try and install something like ASIO4ALL which can try and do the best it can do with what you have, but that can be a hit/miss affair and sometimes is more frustrating than worth.

If you really want the best out your system with low latency to allow you to play in real-time and not with a large delay or crackles in your audio, consider a decent USB audio interface. NI do a capable one, otherwise there are options such as RME, Focusrite and many others to suit budget and requirements.

• H1i

I understand, it's not a bug, it's a feature, that just one app is allowed for exclusive mode :P

I will update all drivers tomorrow. I think I missed some Bios and all other driver updates the last years.

Do you mean an external sound card with audio interface? Because I do use an Yamaha AG03 wich is not a sound card but an USB audio interface, That's not what you are talking about right?

My Computer is, by the way, not in this room but in the next room. All cables are around 5 meters long, also my three USB extension cables. Would this affect the delay of an USB sound card? Should I better buy an internal sound card? My headphones, speaker, gitare Amps are connected to the Yamaha AG03 wich stands on the desk. The AG03 ist connectd to my computer via the USB extension cable. My Komplete S88 is connected to an active USB hub, wich also is connected via a 5m USB extension cable to the computer.

If I buy a sound card, can I then set up my system in a way, that I can use the ASIO driver while I have audio in Kontroll app or cakewalke and also having sound in Browser and other system apps?

Wich audio interface would be a good deal? I have seen those Focusrite devices in sales occasionally. The RME seem way to expensive for me, I have zero experience with DAW yet. I just bought the S88 and I'm trying to take first steps.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

This is confusing. Why aren't you using the driver for the Yamaha AG03?

You could invest in better, but it's a perfectly good audio interface. And, yes it is a soundcard.

This right from the product downloads page.

For Windows operating systems, you must install a driver on your computer so that it will correctly recognize and exchange data with the AG series mixer. For Mac operating systems, standard drivers are already installed on the computer; you do not need to install a separate driver.

AG DSP Controller will no longer be available with Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for Windows V2.1.3 or later installed. In this case, please use AG Controller.

• H1i
    edited February 2023

I've only ever thought of the Yamaha as a mixer. I thought that the sound was still being generated by the mainboard via the onboard sound chip and its driver. But when you think about it, it makes sense that the Yamaha is its own sound card, since it only connects to the computer via USB, after all. So does that mean that I can theoretically switch off the onboard sound chip in the BIOS?

Is there a way to use the ASIO driver and have sound in the DAW and browser at the same time? I would like to learn the first steps in the DAW using youtube tutorials.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

I always disable the Realtek. Mostly because I don't like the idea of hackers, spies and government infiltrators listening to me with the onboard microphone. 😎 No need to do it in the BIOS. You can disable it in Device Manager.

The AG03 is an amazing little package and the only reason Yamaha stopped making interfaces with their brand name is that they took over Steinberg in 2005 and made that their focus for desktop recording.

All the drivers are available for download including support for Win 11.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/interfaces/ag_series/downloads.html#product-tabs

• H1i
    edited February 2023

I disabled the Realtek driver and nothing bad happend, the sound output continued to work :) So it looks like the Yamaha driver already was used all the time.

In Komplete and also in Cakewalk I set the ASIO in the preferences and I thought that the youtbe audio would stop again but it didn't stop. I can use the DWA and Youtube parallel and have audio in both. Perfect.

Thanks for your support guys.

• H1i
    edited February 2023

Looks like cakewalk is not the best choice.

First: I still can't chose the ASIO driver. If I do so, I get an error message wich says, that the Realtek ASIO driver isn't compatible with cakewalk. Wich is strange, because I deactivated the Realtek Driver in the device manager yesterday and I thought that the ASIO driver now is from my YAMAHA AG03 driver install. I mean in "Komplete Kontrol" I can chose the ASIO driver and in the next line I can chose device: "YAMAHA Steinberg USB ASIO". No Problem in "Komplete Kontrol". But unfortunately I cannot set these settings in the cakewalk.

Second: It looks like the Komplete S88 is not full integrated in cakewalk.

Could you recommend me a full integrated DAW? I am an absolute beginner. All I did before was some recordings with ausdacity and some playing with fruity loops. Nothing serious.

Is there a DAW that is full integratet with NI products?

• lusescru
    lusescru Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I see this is old, but are you still having problems, I might be able to help.

Cakewalk works fine with KOMPLETE, at least for me. Try installing ASIO4ALL to setup an ASIO eco system, it really improves things as you only work through the ASIO4ALL to access all ASIO interfaced toys. I know it says Kontakt drums, just an anomoly with how I integrated it, but it is the Kontakt player 7 that is involved.

I have a Yamaha mixer and recall installing their driver is problematic, but I'd have to go back to my notes to get the deets. All I recall is that it broke something. I didn't need it, it was a nice, but not necessary. And it is possible I got it working or worked around it as I see I have it installed on one of my laptops.

Anyway, let me know and perhaps I can help.