Finger Snaps Sound; How To Achieve it?

Aron Stokes
Aron Stokes Member Posts: 32 Member

I'm creating a ballad with a more modern feel, but I want to incorporate some lush finger snap layers as heard in the 90s RnB song I've attached. I'm assuming that the snaps could be samples, they could have been recorded live, or perhaps a combination. It doesn't feel like anything too difficult to achieve, but any thoughts on achieving this sound? I simply want to get them sounding kind of thick and supportive rhythmically as in the song I've attached. Thought I'd check if anyone has aimed for this type of sound in finger snaps before.

Thanks for taking a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Hyjx5U8Ns

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

I think you answered your own question. There are snaps in many drum instruments and I'm pretty sure there are some in Native Instruments. The fatness in that song is created with effects, doubling and a tight room delay.

Been a fan of MJ since my brother brought home the 45 of 'I want you back' in 1969, but he didn't play that side. He said to me and my mom, you gotta hear this. It was the B-side, 'Who's Lovin' You'.

My point: that video I just watched makes me want to puke. It's freakin' horrible. Yuk!

That's what they call R&B?

• Aron Stokes

@Gee_Flat Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, to be honest the only reason I like this song is MJ's vocals and the strings arrangement.

• Gee_Flat

What is your solution for the snaps? Gotta be lots of samples around.

If I was recording them with a group of people, I'd have them circled around a condensor with an omni-directional setting. Close range and as hot as possible in a dead room.

• Aron Stokes

@Gee_Flat Well, that group recording idea sounds great, but to my ears I feel like the snaps I’m hearing are probably layered samples more than anything. I mean, they sound so in your face, but turned down in the mix (volume-wise). Maybe they are real recorded snaps layered up, but sampling was pretty popular then, so it makes me wonder if it’s just some nicely picked fat layered snaps arranged in a good way. I wish there were more videos on percussion and hand percussion recording and mixing especially.

• Gee_Flat

Yeah... so alone you could record snapping for 16 bars of 1/4 beats, which gives you 64 sets of snaps to do what ever you want. Put them in your favourite sampler. Layer them whatever. Pick and choose the best ones etc.

• Aron Stokes

@Gee_Flat Okay I’ll try that, thanks. But I also wanted to run these clips to you and see what you think. On these you can hear the snaps more up close, without all of the other music. Something about the sound of the snaps to me sounds almost like processed samples being used instead of organic finger snaps Michael did himself and had mixed. But perhaps they are just mixed ones that he did live. With the snaps being more isolated in the clips I’ve attached, what are your ears hearing?

https://youtu.be/cVENddZ5AQw

• Gee_Flat

I don't know... maybe it's an F/X chain called 'chemical castration'!

Could be trimmed, compressed with a touch of pre-delay on a gated reverb. I've lost interest. Do some experimenting and come up with your own. Am I being punked here? ☺️ Where's the hidden camera?