Your version of Kontakt is too old to open this file

ashishonen
ashishonen Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited February 2023 in Kontakt

Hello,

I recently moved all of my Native Instruments files from one hard drive to another. I was having issues with load times and reformatted my drive to APFS. Upon doing this, I batch rebuilt my kontakt libraries and everything seemed to be working fine. I then batch resaved my kontakt 7 player libraries and now whenever I try to open anything in Kontakt I get the error message "Your version of Kontakt is too old to load this file." I've since deleted all plug in and application files for Kontakt and tried reinstalling it but I still get the same message. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I can load all of my libraries in Komplete Kontrol but not Kontakt. I also have noticed that I no longer have a kontakt 6 serial number in my account. Does this mean I just have to purchase Kontakt 7?

edit what I believe happened was, I didn't know that Kontakt 7 player was a free version of Kontakt 7. I then batch resaved all of my libraries for Kontakt 7 without owning the product. These libraries now wont open with Kontakt 6.7.1, is there any way to restore them so they can open with 6.7.1?

Mac os version: Monterey 12.6.3

Kontakt version: 6.7.1

Best Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Which ever version you do any save in, will be the version your library is converted to and therefore associated with. It's a quagmire to say the least, because it's so easy to make the mistake.

I don't think it can be reversed. There should be a protection against batch resaving older instruments in a newer version, like forcing you to create a new KFL folder and then asking to proceed.

I could be wrong and I hope I am for your sake and sanity, but I think your only recourse is to download your libraries again. Unfortunately, I think all modified instruments you have now are attached to K7.

You won't get any absolute support from NI until Monday.

• Gee_Flat
    Answer ✓

Wouldn't have mattered if it was the Player or the Full version.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Which ever version you do any save in, will be the version your library is converted to and therefore associated with. It's a quagmire to say the least, because it's so easy to make the mistake.

I don't think it can be reversed. There should be a protection against batch resaving older instruments in a newer version, like forcing you to create a new KFL folder and then asking to proceed.

I could be wrong and I hope I am for your sake and sanity, but I think your only recourse is to download your libraries again. Unfortunately, I think all modified instruments you have now are attached to K7.

You won't get any absolute support from NI until Monday.

• ashishonen
    ashishonen Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately you are right, and I have been going through all my libraries again and reinstalling them to Kontakt 6.7.1. This seems to be doing the trick. I will not make the mistake of batch resaving to Kontakt 7 player again.

• Gee_Flat
    Answer ✓

Wouldn't have mattered if it was the Player or the Full version.