Loss of sound bank loading Kontakt 5 -> 7

Yves.be
Yves.be Member Posts: 5 Member

Hello everyone,

I have about 30 old projects made in Cubase with Kontakt 5. When I try to open these projects today I get an error message telling me that I cannot load the sound bank because Kontakt 5 is no longer able to upload these sounds to Kontakt 7… It's quite annoying because there are precious projects with very specific sounds: If I have to search for each sound of a single project, I have 5 hours per instrument knowing that most of the time I have at least 32 tracks in each project! Help…!

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

This is a problem reported, but K7 shouldn't override your existing projects because the plugin goes in a different folder and is called kontakt.vst3, and not like kontakt 5.dll .

They should run side by side on your system. I read something about uninstalling Kontakt 7 Player, but I don't understand the logic.

• Yves.be

It makes me crazy: I tried to uninstall K7 but the system tells me that libraries such as "Hybrid Keys" or "Ethereal Earth" are not compatible with K5... Terrifying! At Steinberg I created my sessions in Cubase 9 Pro in 2020 and open them without any difficulty in Cubase 12 Pro so far. I don't understand why K7 doesn't work in the same logical way: open an old project with a new Kontakt that takes over from the old one!

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

Play Series instruments (Hybrid Keys etc) are not compatible with K5, they were introduced as a part of Kontakt 6.

Did you buy Kontakt 7?

• Yves.be

No it was a free update plan with my Komplete 12 Ultimate. Why?

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

I wondered if you had possibly installed the new library in the same directory as the old KFL, which would overwrite the existing one and then automatically look for Kontakt 7.

But no, Kontakt does not seamlessly upgrade projects with a new version. I believe that was their intention with naming K6 as 'Kontakt' without a version number. It didn't happen.

So were you able to remove the K7 plugin from Cubase and load K5?

• Yves.be

Yes but it didn't change anything ☹️