Playback audio keeps cutting out

DavidJin
DavidJin Member Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey! This is sort of a part two. So a couple of months ago, I posted a question about the playback of NI instruments cutting out, we've managed to resolve the issue back then, however the same issue came up again, and this time drastically, to the point where any playback is rendered almost impossible. Sometimes it cuts out, sometimes it doesnt, however on the times it does cut it, it is again, drastic. Below I've attached a video to demonstrate what I mean. Does anyone know of a possible solution to this?

P.s I've noticed that it has only happened in Komplete Kontrol, if I load the same instrument in

Kontakt, it plays perfectly so far.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

If this happened to me the solution would be simple. I wouldn't use KK, and I actually don't use it, ever. Is there a benefit to running Studio Drummer in KK?

Your title is misleading, because I don't hear sound cutting out, I hear sounds being choked as if the 'Hold', 'Decay' or 'Transient Sustain' are being rolled back.

• DavidJin

Hey Gee, to answer your questions, I use Komplete Kontrol for my Native insturments keyboard s61, as im pretty sure it's the only software that allows you to navigate with the keyboard. And the sound is cutting out as, I dont know if you could hear in the video, the sounds were stopping at the transients, and clipping as well. It leaves no tail of sustain, it just completely goes to nothing, sounding as if you took an audio file and chopped it up, deleting random sections. Maybe the drum pattern wasnt the best demonstration for this, but for example when it happens on instruments like pianos where there's meant to be a sustain tail, nothing sounds, and the audio goes completely blank, after hearing only the first .5 second of it. Hope this gives you more information as to the problem.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

@DavidJin Do Logic and Komplete Kontrol have Full Disk Access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

What was the fix the last time this occurred?

Are your libraries installed on an external hard drive? what is the format of that drive? What's your operating system?

• DavidJin
    edited February 2023

Hey Jeremy, Thanks for responding. Around two days ago, I saw this message and i just gave all komplete softwares full disk access on MacOS. I waited a bit to see if this problem would come up again, and it just did today. I was running a Rickenbacker sound from Komplete Kontrol, and througout the entire day it was cutting out so bad that all I could hear was the clipping sound, almost as if the entire notes had disappered.

-i know this isnt a CPU or Buffer size issue, as my logic CPU meter is more than fine

-I'm pretty sure this only happens in Komplete Kontrol

-This is specific to NI instuments only as it seems, as Logic stock intruments work fine

and I am running my Komplete Library through an SSD, and what seemed to fix it last time was that the disk was in a not-so compatible format, and I was recommended to reformat it into APFS. Reformating it seemed to have helped with the problem of bouncing, so now that if a track's midi notes does completely decide to cut out, I can try to bounce the track out, and majority of the time it still has sound through that.

Thankyou for giving attention to this problem I'm having, I wouldnt be asking here with such long paragphs if there was an answer already, I've searched online many times, but it doesnt seem like many other people are dealing with the same issue. (I could provide another video of the example if you'd like

Thankyou

• Jeremy_NI

Hey David, is this happening with any other library? If you create the same drum track in Kontakt (for troubleshooting purposes) do you experience the same issue? Can you also check something when in Komplete Kontrol? Choose the Edit view, this will show the Kontakt's window inside Komplete Kontrol:

Can you see any unusual activity in this area (circled in green) when you experience the issue?

• DavidJin

Hello Jeremy, thanks for your reply, I just experienced this issue just then again, and I took this opportunity to check everything. Firstly, I checked under the "Purge" section in Komplete Kontrol under the edit view, and nothing usual shows on my end. I then copied the midi track to an exact same identical track, but on Kontakt, and it worked perfectly. So far it seems that this is an issue only inside of my Komplete Kontrol as every time I copy the instrument to a Kontakt track, so far, no signs of the issue on Kontakt.

(I took this screenshot at the exact time I was hearing this issue)

I was checking also at this momement other possible causes such as CPU and things like that, and everything in my Komplete Kontrol shows to be apparently normal. I think this may be a bit of an unusual problem, as nothing seems to be going wrong on the surface?

• Pocketman
    Pocketman Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am suffering the exact same problem since upgrading to Mac m2.

I don't have a fix but I have noticed a few things that trigger the problem.

If the midi track is selected the the problem goes away.

If audio monitoring is selected on an audio track then the problem persists even if the midi track is selected.

I thought I'd add these here incase it helps to resolve the problem

• gibsonlp223
    gibsonlp223 Member Posts: 16 Member

As I've posted in other threads, this is an issue that many people are having with logic and Komplete Kontrol, there is no known fix, @Jeremy_NI always pops in the threads and does the same song and dance but I haven't seen this issue resolved once. What he is not telling you is that this is an ongoing bug with KK and logic that the devs desperately need to fix but seem to be in no hurry to.

• Jeremy_NI

@gibsonlp223 Well, the bug is indeed identified, and well, I've already posted about it here: Note dropouts at beginning of playback on ARM version Logic Pro Komplete Kontrol

The bug is very specific (only happens in the first bar and on M1 computer). If the symptoms are not exactly the same, the problem might be elsewhere and I invite you to get in touch with my colleagues here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_KKontrol

This thread is from January. we identified the bug in April, you seem to say I'm somehow, for whatever reason, retaining some information when I'm not. I even posted the bug number KBDSW-7423 so users can easily ask about the status of the bug. The bug is not fixed yet and we don't have an ETA at the moment. @Pocketman this probably explains your issue.

I appreciate you like my dance moves @gibsonlp223

• gibsonlp223

@Jeremy_NI its not just M1 computers, there's been reports of the same thing happening with Intel Macs. I'm upset that I've spent $1000+ for a KK keyboard and software that for some reason doesn't work with a major daw, and hasn't worked for months and the dev team doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

• Jeremy_NI

@gibsonlp223 Again, the identified issue is very specific. The workaround is to simply start the Logic project or the Komplete Kontrol MIDI clip one bar later. This is why it was not considered as a high priority at the moment, the Komplete Kontrol developers team have other tasks at the moment. If the issue you are experiencing at the moment is slightly different then the cause of the issue is different and you would need to reach out to our support or I can even create a ticket for you so we can either fix the issue or update the bug report if needed.

• gibsonlp223

Please create a ticket for me @Jeremy_NI

• Jeremy_NI

Before I do so, are your Kontakt libraries installed on an external hard drive? What format is that drive? It should be APFS, if it's not the performance issues are coming from that. Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

• Jeremy_NI

Nevermind @gibsonlp223 I contacted you by email!

• Jeremy_NI

@gibsonlp223 You didn't reply to the email or this thread. Did you get the email at all?