Kontakt Player and Samplitude incompatibility??

terra3
terra3 Member Posts: 10 Member

Hi there. Samplitude X 7 user and Kontakt Player 7. Have come across a problem using the two of these together in a recent build in that when playing sampled instruments from my MIDI controller keyboard - and certainly most notable in keyboard instruments (ex. EP88, Scarbee A200 . . . Embertone D) notes have a continued sustain. Now, I'm going to check this out with a MIDI monitor, but I'm starting to wonder if Note OFF is somehow not being triggered?

I tried the Kontakt player in Reaper with same instruments. No problem.

I tried the standalone player outside of Samplitude with the same instruments. No problem.

I tried a few other keyboard samples (UVI) in another player. No problem.

I tried the Kontakt player and the same samples in a second install of Samplitude I have on another PC workstation. Different PC, different MIDI controller, different audio interface. Same issue with the long sustain. And on that second workstation, player and samples work in Reaper, work standalone.

This is puzzling as hell.

Any thought at this point what might be going on??

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• terra3
    Answer ✓

And to follow again . . . .

Remedy I've identified (and suggested by another that had the identical issue but not the same Kontakt instruments . . . many thanks) was to install a slightly earlier version of Kontakt Player.

So with Ver 5.8.1, no issues and the NOTE ON and NOTE OFF in the player MIDI monitor are present.

Player 6.6.1 . . . . no go . . . sustain present and MIDI OFF not in the MIDI monitor.

So hope Magix and/or NI get that figured out at some point . . . . But back to music instead of fiddling about with MIDI issues . . . . . .

Take care . . .

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

To kill sustains, muting the instrument usually works, but aside from that kill switch, have you tried without sustain pedals plugged into the controllers?

• terra3

Killing them is always possible, but if that was all I was left with I'd be leaving this player behind . . .

The one controller does have a sustain pedal hooked up to it, however, the other controller doesn't and they both have the issue.

Again, this evening I'll monitor the MIDI and see if any hint at what may be going on and how to resolve. But I sense even if it points to a NOTE OFF not being present or effective, I would still be wondering 'why not'.

Again, quite a perplexing issue. Reading online last night, I read a handful of various forum posts of a decade back or more about the same problem but that dried up over time in those forums as it was flagged as a NI issue and the Co indicated a resolution in a program update was forthcoming.

• terra3

Uncertain what offerings there are from NI, but if a demo of Kontakt (full program) available, I'd like to try that and see if issue is the player. As it is now, its player/Samplitude not doing well together.

If wondering, yes . . . also have this question up in a Samplitude forum.

• Gee_Flat

I was just tossing it out there.

• terra3

Well, checking this out this evening, I've found a MIDI monitor within the Kontakt Player (never realized it was even there . . . a 'KSP' button opens that and more) and Ive found that there is no NOTE OFF in either system when playing from the keyboards.

Now, why . . .. . . . . that is a good question? Something to do with how it functions with Samplitude?

A question for NI as their own folks designed the MIDI monitor and (obviously) the player. You can even view the script for the monitor and it identifies its authors.

• Gee_Flat

You said..."Now, I'm going to check this out with a MIDI monitor", so I just assumed you meant the one in Kontakt.

I've used Kontakt with many programs - Cubase, Studio One, Pro Tools, Sonar - and never had a problem with my $69 Keystudio or any other keyboard.

The issue is on your end.

• terra3

An update for any that may have need to follow at some point . . .

So installed a demo of Kontact 5 "Full".

Running in the two Samplitude systems described above, no issue with this sustain. Interestingly enough, the Kontakt MIDI monitor illustrates NOTE ON and NOTE OFF when inputting from my controllers (unlike the failure to illustrate NOTE OFF when using the Kontakt Player 6 and 7 doing the same).

Waiting on initial input from NI and follow-up from the Magix folks.

Will post resolution 'if' I manage to get it. I am considering purchasing and installing the full Kontakt 7 to see how it would fare, but that comes with a measure of risk as no refund for downloaded software . . . .

• terra3
    Answer ✓

And to follow again . . . .

Remedy I've identified (and suggested by another that had the identical issue but not the same Kontakt instruments . . . many thanks) was to install a slightly earlier version of Kontakt Player.

So with Ver 5.8.1, no issues and the NOTE ON and NOTE OFF in the player MIDI monitor are present.

Player 6.6.1 . . . . no go . . . sustain present and MIDI OFF not in the MIDI monitor.

So hope Magix and/or NI get that figured out at some point . . . . But back to music instead of fiddling about with MIDI issues . . . . . .

Take care . . .

• terra3

Hi there . . . with a nod today toward an acceptance of answer, reminded me that Magix did get back to me just a handful of days back . . . . to quote:

"Dear customer,

Thank you for your message.

Soon a patch will be released that reworks the integration of the Kontakt plugin. This should fix the problem. If this is not the case, please contact us again."

Busy with work the past while and haven't been in the program for a bit. At some point I'll head back in and see if anything has become of that issue.

• brmichael
    brmichael Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello,

I still have problems with Kontakt 7 & Samplitude X7. Both are on the latest patch level.

Kontakt 7 seems to ignore Note Off commands, when they are sent as Note On + Velocity = 0. This results in hanging notes. I noticed this after importing a MIDI file into Samplitude, where Note Off was stored as Note On with zero velocity. But there was a very strange solution for this problem: after opening the MIDI editor in Samplitude (piano roll) and selecting just one note, Samplitude converted all Note On + velocity 0 events into Note Off events. After that, Kontakt worked as expected.

Nevertheless, Kontakt developers should have a look at Kontakt's MIDI note handling. Note On + velocity 0 events should be treated as Note Off.

BTW: I never had this problem with Kontakt 6 Player.

Regards,

Michael

• Arrival In Eden
    Arrival In Eden Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    edited November 2023

Hey Guys,

the Problem still exists and I got absolutly the same Issue as Michael told.

But with Samplitude Music Studio 2022

I am having an open Ticket since last week but its not really moving forward actually.

I sending a description of the Problem, then sending a small Screen Recording of the Behaviour and also this picture... still waiting for a usefull Answer on this.

Kontakt 7 didnt received a "Note Off" as Kontakt 6 did.

I couldnt use the "workaround" Michael told, that didnt help.

• terra3

Happened to receive this recent post from Arrival In Eden and thought I'd update . . . .

A few days back happened to 'accidentally' insert Kontakt 7 into Samplitude (I'd found Kontakt 5 didn't have this issue with absence of Note Off) and incredibly my Kontakt 7 doesnt have this issue any longer. Engaged MIDI monitor and there it is . . . Note On and then Note Off.

No idea what the hell happened the past while, but some party has at least eliminated this from my issue here.

One note that is that Kontakt 7 now takes much longer to load. But I'm not in any hurry . . .

• Arrival In Eden

Maybe I should give the Upgrade of Samplitude Music Studio a Try...

I will have a look. Maybe this Evening or maybe in the next days ;)

• terra3

I would note my Samplitude is Samplitude Pro X7. But seemed to have the same issues as others did with various versions of 'Samplitude'.

Again . . . I did 'zero' to contribute to this working. Someone made a change . . NI or Magix.

• Arrival In Eden

So what... I couldnt wait and bought the Upgrade to Music Studio X8..

and finally its working. No hanging Notes in Kontakt 7

Jesus....

Thanks I am getting all Plugins instantly to work.