Session Strings Pro 2 activation

Broadacre
Broadacre Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi, I just purchased Session Strings Pro 2 a couple of days ago. I allowed Full Disc Access, updated NI Access app., allocated the data to their appropriate folders (default anyway) on my Mac hard drive (NI application) and external SSD disc (Library) and received a warning (!) that the NI application file having problems on my Mac hard drive. Nevertheless, I completed the installation with the registration of the serial number.

I opened standalone Kontakt 7, the SS Pro 2 library was installed only when trying to open an instrument everything froze. This is the first time I have experienced problems with Kontakt, only recently I installed other NI software into Kontakt with no problems. What has changed? Could it be that before downloading the software I updated my Mac to the latest version of Ventura 13.2

Native instruments is no longer available by ´phone (Berlin) and any requests are directed straight to their support home page which does not supply any answers, so here I am. Any one have any ideas?

Best Answer

• Broadacre
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy, I have copied all my libraries to an APFS formatted SSD but I decided to re-intstall everything via Native Access to be safe only to discover that the libraries do not appear in Kontakt 7 except for two. Native Access however shows "Successfully installed", this all incredibly frustrating.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

all should work like written here: macOS 13 Ventura Compatibility Statement – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com) in this article there is also a link you can follow if not everything works out the way it should.

• Broadacre

Hi Uwe, many thanks for your reply. I checked out the link you sent but couldn´t find any reference to the problem I have. For some reason, the NI app was having problems installing itself onto my Mac hard-drive indicated by a caution sign (!). The installation paths are all default which I did not alter. I clicked the browse button to change the installation path but with no effect, even restarting my computer didn´t help. The library in Kontakt is installed and visible but will not load. Is there a missing nki file somewhere, I just can´t figure it out and i really need direct contact with somebody at Native Instruments?

• Uwe303

Sounds like a permission issue to me, but I'm not a mac user myself so i don't know how to give different rights to native acces. Also is your external drive formated as APFS. Contact native support, they can analyze your computer and see what's going on. @Jeremy_NI

• Broadacre

Hi Uwe, now I have discoverd what is really happening. The instrument does load into Kontakt but it takes 20 minutes!! It does work but the loading time is ridiculous.

• Uwe303
    edited February 2023

Ohh that's definitely not normal, is your external SSD connected through a hub? There are also tools to measure disk transfer rates, maybe you try that and report what it shows. SATA3, just for example comes near 600 MB/sec, my internal m.2 NVME 7000 MB/s. (I mean sequential read)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Broadacre What is the format of your external hard drive? It should be APFS, as explained in this article: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

Also make sure to give Full Disk Access to Kontakt and your DAW: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

You would also need to give that Full Disk Access to the NTKDaemon, as explaineed in this article: Native Access Error Message: "Installation Failed" (Mac)

Does it happen with any other library?

The warning for the applications in Native Access is a bug, it's only a cosmetic one, the applications are installed and functional. This bug should be fixed in the next Native Access update.

• Broadacre
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy, I have copied all my libraries to an APFS formatted SSD but I decided to re-intstall everything via Native Access to be safe only to discover that the libraries do not appear in Kontakt 7 except for two. Native Access however shows "Successfully installed", this all incredibly frustrating.

• Broadacre

@Uwe303

Hi Uwe, the problem is very fundamental, I was made aware that all external SSD drives must be formatted to AFPS Mac format, being a new Mac operator I didn´t know. I ´phoned MacHelp to ask if they could help but said my SSDs are not APFS compatible but then I found a very good hint on the net how to Format SSDs with APFS. How-to: Format Your SSD as APFS on Mac - YouTube

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Broadacre What type of SSD is it? It's the forst time I hear about SSD drives that would not be compatible with APFS. If this is the case that could explain your performance issues.

It should be really easy to format them with your Disk Utility. https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/disk-utility/dsku19ed921c/mac

Can you right click the SSD drive and choose get info, post a screenshot of that here?

Now in Kontakt, where do you witness the absence of libraries? In the new browser or the old browser (looks like previous versions of Kontakt). You can switch from one another with this button here: