Guitar rig 6 documentation: viewing midi mappings

Edward Emerson
Edward Emerson Member Posts: 5 Member

On this page:

https://native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/guitar-rig-manual/en/automation-and-midi-control#midi-control

Under the section titled "Managing MIDI Mappings" there is an instruction to view all midi mappings. You right click the background of a component or the rack and select MIDI Controls List in the context menu.

When I do that I get the context menu but there is no MIDI controls List selection available.

What gives?

It would be very helpful to me to know these things because I'm trying to do some midi control in my daw.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

I don't have Studio One on a PC at the moment so I can't really check it out. What I can see in Ableton when using the VST or VST3 plug-in is that only the macros are controllable from the DAW by MIDI and unfortunately the next & previous buttons can't be assigned to macros. I'm not sure it's really helpful but that's all I got for now.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

@Edward Emerson This should look like this when you right click a parameter:

What does it show for you? Is it with Guitar Rig 6 in standalone or in a DAW?

• Edward Emerson

So are you saying the MIDI controls List doesn't show up until you've mapped a midi control via the "learn midi" selection in the context menu? That would make sense and if this is the case you might want to update the documentation to make that clear.

Now to the problem that I was trying to address by seeing that info. I'm attempting to assign the next and previous preset function to a button on my FCB101 controller. I'm doing this in Studio One DAW. I understand this might be a Studio One issue rather than a NI issue but wanted to check first before trying with Studio One support.

But this is what I see after doing learn midi then selecting the down arrow.

• Jeremy_NI

Are you on Mac or on Windows? If you're on Mac you should use the GUITAR RIG 6MFX Midi controlled AU Plug-in in Studio One.

• Edward Emerson

I'm using Studio one Pro Version 5 on Windows.

• Edward Emerson

Now don't get me wrong here, I think Guitar rig is awesome, as is Studio one and the FCB101. Problem is implementation and documentation. Things have gotten so complex that there seems to be some emergent behavior going on. Is Studio One not communicating properly with Guitar Rig? Are the limitations of the FCB1010 just insurmountable? 🤷

I just want a Guitar Rig preset to load when I step on the up or down switch of the FCB1010 along with any of the mappings I've assigned to the switches and pedals.

I'm starting to get the feeling this will not be possible on the stock FCB1010 because it looks like loading a new bank on the FCB1010 sends no midi information out. I might be able to get away with a kluge by sacrificing two switches in each bank by assigning them to the studio one preset next and preset previous functions.

This would get me what I need but with having to do two taps on the FCB1010, first the next/previous switch to load the Guitar Rig preset, then the up/down switch to load the FCB1010 bank.

🙄

• BobF3
    BobF3 Member Posts: 11 Member

Looks like you're using Studio One Control Link, which does the mapping in Studio One, not in GR.

• Edward Emerson

yepyepyep. I do believe this is turning out to be a Studio One/FCB1010 issue and has nothing to do with guitar rig. Well... maybe. Still don't know why some controls in GR can be midi learned and others not. Seems so random. Really wish there was a way to get under the hood in both SO and GR.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

I don't have Studio One on a PC at the moment so I can't really check it out. What I can see in Ableton when using the VST or VST3 plug-in is that only the macros are controllable from the DAW by MIDI and unfortunately the next & previous buttons can't be assigned to macros. I'm not sure it's really helpful but that's all I got for now.