How can I make Massive X read more than half of its factory presets?

thejules
thejules Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

A bit of an oddball here. I have K14CE with every MX expansion installed. It's showing 3323 presets in the browser. But I can only load about half of them. For many more, I get the error message "Unable to read preset file".

Example presets that result in this error are "8 bit strobing bells", "808 Mafia", "Budgebot" and so many more.

• I have tried to un-install and re-install MX and all the expansions through NI Access (3.1). Nothing has changed.
  • I have run "Rescan Content" numerous times.
  • When I click on "Show in Finder", MX just opens a blank Finder window for all those presets where the error happens. It does open the correct folder for the presets it can load.

My system: Apple Silicon M1 Pro, macOS 12.6.2, MX 1.4.2, Ableton Live 11.2.7.

It seems to me there might be some folder shenanigans happening. As MX shows the presets and does not exclude them, when I rescan, but is unable to load them and can't open the Finder folder containing them. What can I do?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

have you tried all this: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013992417-Some-Presets-are-Missing-in-MASSIVE-X

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

have you tried all this: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013992417-Some-Presets-are-Missing-in-MASSIVE-X

• thejules

This helped get rid of the presets MX could not load, thank you! But I'm wondering: I quite liked the 808 presets that are in MX and 808 Mafia was, when I was able to load it, one of my favorite sounds. Any way how to get this and the almost 200 hundred other presets that this step now removed from the preset library back?

• Uwe303

Ohh normally they should be all back now, are you really sure, that all the presets are where mx is looking for them?

• Uwe303

I checked and those sounds belong to the "massive x factory library" - there they are under a folder named presets. If you open native access and search for massive x, then next to "massive x factory library" go on the three dots and select "install paths" same for "mechanix" for example - they should be in the same folder except the own sub folder.

• thejules

Thank you again, Uwe! The folders are all there and there are many presets in them, just not the ones I mentioned.

I'm not sure what happened that these roughly 200 were lost. I'm certain they were part of the Factory Library. I reinstalled that and every MX pack through NI Access, but these presets remain lost. It's not the end of the world if these remain lost, but it would be a shame.

Any other ideas how to get them back?