How to open a Maschine Jam case?

JAB3
JAB3 Member Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2023 in Maschine

I am trying to restore the pads on a used Jam. I have all screws removed, but the top right corner is still fastened tight and won't come apart. Any ideas?

Comments

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Look under stickers if thereโ€™s any.

• JAB3

There are no stickers in this area

• Mutis

Rubber feet?

upload some pics please.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 201 Advisor

Jiggle it a little. Mine just popped right off after removing the screws.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

could you take some photos of the inside? close ups underneath the rubber buttons be great!

cheeRs

• JAB3

Mutis, 6xes, Myalteredsoul,

I am feeling like a brain-dead clown right now. You guys were telling me to look under the rubber feet. Turns out there is one more screw under the top right rubber foot of the Maschine Jam. I assumed it wasn't one because none of the other corner screws were covered by the respective feet, and the rubber feet are fastened to the Jam with heavy duty glue. But when I lifted the corner of that particular foot, boom!

So I will jump at the brightning process sometime in the near future, to get these pads white again.

Thanks again. Hopefully, this helps others for the Maschine Jam. By the way, I read that laying dryer static sheets over a smokey device will helped the odor go away. I wiped down the surface with some alcohol, just a little bleach, and then laid the sheets over the Jam afterwards. Smells fresh. But we will see if this is permanent or not.

Thanks all! ๐Ÿ˜

• Mutis

Glad you found it!

Please make some pics of the guts and share them with the communities. All of us learn things from these experiences ;)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Bleach and electronics are a bad combination ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

If any of the parts you used it touch the PCB then I would open it up again and clean it with isopropyl alcohol, or whatever alcohol you can find with the smallest amount of water.

If you do pls post pics of the internals.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Yes, would love to get an update on your success with opening up and cleaning your Jam.

To my surprise I had very good results opening up a cheap used Micro MK3 with irregular/uneven pad performance and cleaning it. Turns out there were lots of cannabis "crumbs" inside that were causing the problems. Must have been decent weed because the very sticky resin was gumming up the metal triggers and underside of the rubber pads. A thorough cleaning with gentle brushes and alcohol swabs returned it to like new performance. ๐Ÿ‘

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 201 Advisor

Just a heads up, do not use bleach to clean anything in electronics. Rubber is a porous material that will retain some of the sodium hypochlorite particles and can lead to early onset oxidization of components.

Use contact cleaner like deoxit for your contacts. Start by cleaning the area with a microfiber cloth, then apply deoxit, then wipe away with another microfiber cloth.

For getting smoke out of pads, it will never be completely out. However, you can alleviate the smell.

Soak overnight in diluted ospropyl/water solution. Rinse well. Let dry out completely. Repeat until smell is gone. The yellowing can be a challenge, but at least the smell will be gone.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2023

Yeah, that blech might kill it in a few months... If it messes up those pad PCB traces badly there no saving it.

@myalteredsoul said:

The yellowing can be a challenge, but at least the smell will be gone.

Yellowing is easy, oddly the same products that people use to turn dark hair into blond are super effective at removing yellowing from rubber-like materials, used a lot for sneaker restoration. Just apply it and leave it in the sun for a day.

It has to be a strong brand and probably needs to be cleaned very thoroughly after but should work.