Login Items: Native Access & NTK Daemon

clbraddock
clbraddock Member Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2023 in Native Access

Is it necessary to keep Native Access & NTK Daemon as login items on mac? On Ventura (M2 Pro) my login has started hanging for 10-15 seconds, and I think it is related to login items. Can I remove these 2 and then just manually start Native Access if/when I want to check for updates?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

You should only remove Native Access, since you really do not need NA to open up as part of the startup process.

The NTKDaemon we would recommend to leave, otherwise NA will think it is not installed whenever you try to open Native Access.

• clbraddock
    Answer ✓

Got it! Thank you!!

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

You should only remove Native Access, since you really do not need NA to open up as part of the startup process.

The NTKDaemon we would recommend to leave, otherwise NA will think it is not installed whenever you try to open Native Access.

• clbraddock
    Answer ✓

Got it! Thank you!!

• Goldstein
    Goldstein Member Posts: 1 Member

It would be nice if NTKDaemon would get a bit more speaking, consumer friendly name (I don't want to need to google strange daemons)

• Jeremy_NI
    edited October 2023

@Goldstein Some context for the term Daemon!

"Many people equate the word "daemon" with the word "demon", implying some kind of satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. "Daemon" is actually a much older form of "demon"; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a "personal daemon" was similar to the modern concept of a "guardian angel"—eudaemonia is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both daemons and demons."

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing)

But I am sure a lot of users see the NTKDAemon as a demon when it does not work properly. 👿

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,239 mod
    edited October 2023

There are two major problems for 'people' in understanding this.

1) Those translating (which is by source spread into the Wiki's) do not have the proper background or not have the proper understanding of 'the everything' / 'the universe' so at best their 'translation' often becomes like 'approximations' , since their "translations" are 'modern consciousness' comprehension of 'other consciousness' expressions...

2) The whole 'translation of and discussion about the Daemon, Daimon, demon expressions actually is also more a reflection of how humanity works and a reflection of humanity in as much as that what is assigned of meaning to words most often express the sum of both what we have been told is the meaning but also what we have 'experienced' is the meaning !

• wilsome
    wilsome Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

You should consider uninstalling Native Access as it's not essential for it to launch at startup.

We recommend keeping the NTKDaemon, as removing it may cause Native Access to think it's not installed when you try to open it.