Updating from Kontakt 5 to 7 while migrating from Intel to Silicon

Formica
Formica Member Posts: 7 Member

I've been using Kontakt 5 on a 2014 iMac for a long time now, but have recently purchased a 2023 Mac Studio running Ventura on Silicon.

I want to update my version of Kontakt to 7, installed on the new machine.

Question I have is - do I need to install Kontakt 5 on my new Mac Studio before I can update? I'm a little concerned it won't be recognised by the OS.

Is it possible to perform the update without installing the old version?

Thanks

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Kontakt 7 won't replace K5 as an upgrade, so all your exisiting projects will still require K5 and its library. After purchasing Kontakt 7 upgrade you will then have two versions in your account.

So install 5 and transfer your exisiting KFL with all your modifications to the new PC, or download it.

• Formica

But can I install 5 on a Silicon Mac? I have an installation CD in front of me here that dates back to 2014.

If I purchase the Kontakt 7 update

• Formica

OK for anyone else going through this - Yes, you HAVE to install Kontakt 5 and activate it first on your Silicon M1 Chip Mac. Then install Kontakt 7. It won't run without 5 being installed first. If you want anything doing...

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Formica Not sure if there is a misunderstanding here. You should be able to install Kontakt 7 without having previous versions on your computer.

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have Komplete 8 Ultimate, which includes Kontakt 5 and a big bundle of instruments. So the question is, if I just upgrade to Kontakt 7 ($50), will all those instruments from Komplete 8 Ultimate still work with Kontakt 7? Because if not, then I should be upgrading to Komplete 14 Ultimate ($400). I'd appreciate any help on this.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Henry All NI Kontakt libraries only require the free version of Kontakt, Kontakt Player. You can use Kontakt 7 Player. Please check this article on how to download, install and activate your Komplete 8 products: Some of my KOMPLETE 8 (ULTIMATE) Products are Missing in Native Access