Choir Omnia portamento issue

Jim B
Jim B Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2023 in Other Software & Hardware

I am running Choir Omnia as a plug-in within Logic Pro X. I discovered that this app has a portamento "feature" that appears to be on all the time. The portamento rate appears to be hard linked to the app's tempo, and the app tempo is hard linked to the tempo in my Logic project. The result is that I cannot use this app at slower tempos because the portamento rate is so slow that everything out of tune. My questions:

• Is there a way that I haven't found to turn off the portamento function?
  • Is there a way that I haven't found to control the portamento rate independent of the tempo setting?
  • Is there a way that I haven't found to unlink the application's tempo from the Logic project tempo?
  • If, as I expect, the answer to the above questions is "no", then what can I do to persuade Native Instruments to implement user control of the portamento function built into this app? Without that control this app is completely and very disappointingly useless for me.

Thanks,

Jim

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Are you saying the notes glide if you play a note a fifth or an octave apart? Or is it slurring from the Legato setting?

• Jim B

Thanks for your reply.

It's most obvious between a melodic interval of a 2nd. Set the tempo at quarter note = 40, then try playing a major scale. It's an intonation mess.

Jim

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

I have no idea what that means. Does that translate to 150 bpm? 6/8, 12/8?

• Jim B

I should have said 40 bpm.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

OK, there is your problem. That is insanely slow. I don't even think a death march comes close to being that slow 😀

At least double it and change the time signature. No? Or change the metronome count.

edit: the instrument is probably scripted to adapt to the tempo so that the movement between intervals is in sync.

• Jim B

I suggested playing a scale at 40 bpm to make the issue easy to hear, but it's still unacceptable for my purposes at 80 bpm. I'm writing classical music, not dance music, so I need to be able to use all tempos, not just fast ones.

The first thing I tried using this app on is a tonal counterpoint exercise I am working on, 4 notes to 1. I was provided a cantus firmus in quarter notes in 2/4 time and I have to write the counterpoint line in 16th notes.

This should be easy for NI to fix, just give us a portamento rate knob. It's crazy to give us an app with the notes sliding in and out of tune all over the place.

• Gee_Flat

You may be writing classical music, but computer music is a different animal.

I'm no expert on classical music but I do have some experience studying it. So enlighten me. Is 40 bpm a common tempo used by the greats?

I studied the 5th while reading the full score and listening. It starts in 2/4 at 100-110 bpm, depending how much coke the conductor did I guess.

But I love the 2nd movement the most. Slow and romantic and It feels like its moving at around 70-80 bpm.

• Sofus
    Sofus Member Posts: 7 Member

I have the same problem. A tempo of 40 is not anything strange at all. If this behaviour can't be fixed the app is useless to anyone writing classical music. Classical music demands for precision, not randomness!

• Blank_Name
    Blank_Name Member Posts: 7 Member

@Jim B Did you get any feedback from NI on this? I find some of the notes unusable because of this.