external hard drive with native access

only1alientune
only1alientune Member Posts: 13 Member

my external hard drive not working with native access and i can't download all my sounds i don't have enough space on my computer for all my sounds so i need to put them on my external hard drive but it's a bug or something preventing me from using it can anyone help?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Donkey Oaty
    Donkey Oaty Member Posts: 27 Member

Open Native Access. Go to the product you wish to install. Below the product is an 'Install' button. To the right of this is another button which is a series of three dots '. . .' - click on the three dot button. Choose where you want to locate the new product (e.g. a folder on your new external drive). Native Access will install to this folder, and your product should be retrieved automatically from there when you want to use it. If you have any problems you can resolve these in Kontakt.

• only1alientune

the three dots is only for you to relocate a plugin that you already have installed i tried that nothing is working

• only1alientune

when i try to do the three dots this what it says a unexpected error occurred::boost::filesystem::status access is denied [system5] d:/plugins

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,595 mod

@only1alientune What is your operating system and what format is your external hard drive?

• only1alientune

i fixed it if someone is having trouble with the same go to properties and make sure system and adminstration is on in external hard drive properties

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,595 mod
    Answer ✓
  • etudes
    etudes Member Posts: 25 Member

I'm having this same exact issue. When I try to Relocate All a ton of libraries that I moved onto an external SSD (formatted APFS), it throws the error:

An unexpected error occured: boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: Permission denied [system:13]: "/Volumes/SAMPLES/.Trashes"

I'm on macOS Ventura 13.6.3 on an M2 machine, running Native Access 2.

Full Disk access is enabled for all Native Instruments products.

How do I fix this?

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 840 Guru

Can you open the Terminal and then type in the following commands

cd /Volumes/SAMPLES

ls -alF

Then paste the results here? I'm curious who the owner is of your .Trashes folder.

• reffahcs

I take it you're on Windows? Perhaps try running Native Access as administrator?

• etudes

Sure thing, here's most of the list. (Note: I changed my actual username in this list to the word "username")

• reffahcs

You don't appear to have read permissions for your trash? Try this article. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6122693?sortBy=best

Just scroll to the bottom and follow the steps in the post just above the last post that says "It worked!"

• etudes
    edited January 15

Hmm that AppleScript is throwing it's own error, so that doesn't seem to be working.

But also, I don't think the .Trashes folder is supposed to have read permissions anyway. I've just checked the same folder on some other external drives, and none of them seem to have it.

This seems like a slightly convoluted way to fix this problem. I really appreciate the effort, but I feel like something else is up here.

• reffahcs

If you're versed with the terminal it would be a lot easier to just do a chmod +r .Trashes

I was just going off the permissions I have on mine, so that's interesting. Perhaps Apple changed the permissions at some point in time? I'm the latest 14 release and mine had read permissions.

Do you get that same error message if you try to install the NI libraries on a different external drive? Searching that lib boost error shows it's a directory permission issue, even on Linux?

• etudes

Hmm well you know what, I think I stand corrected. I gave it a shot using that terminal command on my sample drive directory, and that did work.

Before I did that, I was already able to Relocate All on individual sub folders on my samples drive without the error. I was just the root level that was throwing the error.

(Also for context, I'm actually working with 3 sample drives and have just been simplifying my examples to 1. There were a few weird permissions on hidden folders across the drives that I had to fix.)

Strangely enough, I was left with quite a few of "still missing" products in the list that had nothing to do with Native Instruments or Kontakt, like some 3rd party plugins that have their own licensing systems such as Waves stuff and Audio Modeling SWAM instruments. But once I canceled out of that dialog and the listed products were fixed, no way to access the "Relocate All" dialog again, so I guess we're good.

Thanks so much for your help!

• reffahcs

That's awesome! Glad you got it sorted!

Yeah Apple's gone a little overboard with security IMO. I deal with their stuff at work and it's just such a nightmare. Even setting up Timemachine on my NAS wasn't straight forward because of the extra permissions Apple uses.