The ultimate magic way to get REAKTOR running on MASCHINE+

kinskop
kinskop Member Posts: 18 Helper
edited August 2023 in Maschine

Hey there...

...since there is a lot of confusion if it's possible to load Reaktor User Ensembles into the Maschine+, I thought I'd invest some time and write a propper Tutorial about it. Because it is possible and it works very well. I sure hope you find it useful. It's a bit more reading content then I expected but if you are already a tiny bit into the topic, I guess you can skip the whole intro part...

I would like to use this thread for further discussion and questions. And hopefully I'm not the only one ready to give some answers. Help each other out 👨‍🎓

Cheers!

Eric

Comments

• kuenala
    kuenala Member Posts: 4 Member

Wow, thank you for this extensive post and the documentation. Will give it a go!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru
    edited November 2022

My only point of criticism is that you do not mention that Maschine only allows the first 99 Reaktor IDs to be controlled/mapped in Maschine/M+. This is why "Compress&Sort ID's" is a good idea. However, even that will not help if you have over 100 parameters.. This can be problematic when importing complex existing ensembles.

Your method differs slightly from the way I personally do it, but if it works, its all good!

• MasterVe
    MasterVe Member Posts: 4 Member

Can yo just upload the Juno synth

esamble I can’t get it to work

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,354 Expert

Which one? I could only get one of them to work AFAIR. Also, don’t know if it still works.. tried it about two years ago and decided the Reaktor Ensembles aren’t worth the hassle (for my purposes).

• Onophone
    Onophone Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi there,

I've been able to import various Reaktor Ensembles to Maschine+ thanks to the amazing Octobird's guide and Bless Beats' tutorial. However, I wonder if there is any way to keep in the Ensembles for Maschine+ the original bank(s) of Snapshots, while applying the newly made/personnal set of Macro controls to all of them?

So far I am able to create an INIT snapshot for each ensemble, and then make/save my own sounds in Maschine+, but it would be really handy to keep all the original presets available in the conversion process. So far, when I keep the presets, my own macro controls are not loaded along with them in the Maschine+ ; only the one INIT snapshot I have edited...

Any way to get this done would be greatly appreciated!

• ozon

AFAIK are the Macro controls baked into the individual Presets/Snapshots. You would have to edit each Snapshot to apply your own set of Macros. NI does not provide any professional editing tools for that (to average users). For many operations in Reaktor, even copy/paste does not work. I gave up on trying to get unified Macros. Additionally, if NI updates the presets, the Macro mappings may be changed and will destroy your own mappings. This definitely happened for Monark.

• Sunken Forest
    Sunken Forest Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2023

I've been pretty much erasing presets as I've gone through the process, although a lot of ensembles don't have anything saved so it's not been a big loss to me. Being able to have a logical layout of the controls makes it much easier to actually do some in depth sound design on Maschine+.

I thought I would at least give it a shot and just tried to save the Maschine mapping and include an extra preset for the L3V3LL3R compressor by Dan Worrall and it seems as though I've managed to save the Maschine Macros with the two presets.

If anyone wants to give this a go, here are the steps once you get to the stage of re-importing the Maschine preset and saving the Reaktor patch with the Macros baked in.

1. Edit the ensemble and load a preset (you have to do this part one at a time unfortunately).
    2. Press the STORE button, followed by the red disk (save to host) near the edit button.
    3. Repeat the process for each preset, load each, store, save to host.
    4. One you are done with all the presets, save the Reaktor ensemble itself.

If you refresh your Maschine library, you should then have the presets in the browser and each one should load with the custom Macros intact. I've attached the ensemble in case anyone wants a new compressor to try out.

And can I just say, that I'm glad to find some other people that are enthusiastic about pushing the limitations of the standalone island we have found ourselves on.

• Sunken Forest

Has anyone tried converting any of the Blocks to an M+ compatible ensemble with any success?

I picked up the Monark filter which works on M+, so I thought I would try my own with the Rounds reverb. I created a new ensemble and imported the reverb, then connected the inputs and outputs and confirmed this was working in the Maschine software on desktop. For some reason, no sound is output once the ensemble is opened on Maschine+ and it is really pickling me.

I'm brand new to Reaktor for the most part, so it's probably something simple that I'm missing but would really appreciate any help or guidance.

• Sunken Forest

Yeah, definitely should've checked it on Maschine+ before posting 😂

All the macros reset themselves, but the page headers stayed intact for some reason... Dang. I really feel like this is doable though, so I'll try again tomorrow.

• ozon

I wondered the same thing but didn’t find a solution. I also tried to create an ensemble for the M+ based on the Driver core cell (I think it’s a cell), which worked in the Maschine software at some point, but I couldn’t get it to work on the M+. My guess is that the licenses to use certain cells or blocks are missing.

However, I have very little knowledge about creating Reaktor ensembles, thus I may have overlooked the obvious.

• Sunken Forest

I did wonder if it has some kind of dependency on some of the factory content that isn't present on the M+... I'll keep trying with this.

In other news, I tried to quickly fix the L3V3LL3R ensemble with just an init preset and it still wouldn't transfer the macros to M+... It has to be something that I'm doing in the process, because the ensemble prior to my baking the macros in has them working (albeit on page 17 with useless parameter names) and the modified version has the macro names but all the parameters are now p000000 etc.

I also wanted to share two working ensembles for anyone to try. I've included the Sherman Filterbank emulation and Air Reverb.

• tetsuneko
    edited June 2023

The preset issue is an annoying one. Most elegant way I can think of to tackle it would be to meticulously rearrange and name all parameter IDs in Reaktor in a way which autopopulates a desired UI for Maschine without needing remapping or any editing in Maschine software at all. Problem is, once you remap those IDs and label them so they'd work well in Maschine, the original snapshots the ensembles came with no longer work..

What I did for MNFM when I wanted that "lately bass" patch to carry across to Maschine+ was, I took a screenshot of the original patch UI which displayed all the parameter values on screen as numbers, then manually matched every parameter to the exact same value as in the screenshot. I cannot imagine doing that for an entire bank of presets though. (or could, if someone paid me to.. but thats a whole nother kettle of fish)

Best results would arise from building all M+ ensembles again from scratch, and postponing making any snapshots for the ens until the entire UI would autopopulate Maschine+ UIs as intended. Reusing existing stuff from the RUL is a bit of a pain if you are unlucky

Speaking of blocks, haven't tried using/recycling them in Maschine+ so no idea.. but since the blocks all use Primary or Core inside, transplanting stuff from blocks into self contained ensembles should theoretically be very much possible.

• tetsuneko
    edited June 2023

Why would you want to? I am not aware of any Juno synths in the RUL which are actually modelling a Roland Juno, aside from same featuresets and mimicking a Juno's UI.. They are just reusing the stock VA components from the Reaktor library. I bet the Polysynth in Maschine will be capable of all the same sounds when programmed right

• Onophone
    Onophone Member Posts: 4 Member

Thanks for the inputs regarding the Snapshots question. One option I have tried beyond the more expected ones is to put a snapshot selector within the ensemble (as a knob or drop-down menu itself with its Macro control) – it technically worked but is neither clean nor practical, since you loose all the snapshot names once in M+...

• Sunken Forest

Is there any possible way we could get this thread either stickied, or create an offshoot channel (like the autosampler sub) to build some kind of repository of knowledge for this sort of niche Reaktor building?

Having to trawl through the way back machine to find fragments of information from the previous forum is a bit of a chore, and I'm still waiting to see if any conversations will be had between the Maschine and Reaktor dev teams to provide some guidance.

I wish there was a Discord for this topic to be honest, but I don't know the first thing about running one personally. It just seems like there could be a lot more traction if this area is worked on, and I would be happy to put hours into this if it meant it would benefit the M+ users as a whole.