How do I make a loop start at whatever beat the sequencer is at?

Tomas E
Tomas E Member Posts: 80 Member

How do I make a loop start at whatever beat the sequencer is at? So that I can start playback anywhere without having an all messed up rhythm.

I discovered this feature in some library recently and I also read about it somewhere, probably in the KK manual but I can't find it. I doesn't seem to be default for all loops.

Best Answer

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Answer ✓

Make sure your sequencer can snap to 'Bar'. Then when you place the marker it will play the loop in sync.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Answer ✓

Make sure your sequencer can snap to 'Bar'. Then when you place the marker it will play the loop in sync.

• Tomas E

Thanks Gee! I'll check it out.

• Gee_Flat

I don't think that is what you're looking for, but it's not clear what kind of loop you're talking about.

• Tomas E

A drumloop.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

Yes obviously a midi drum loop and not a drum audio sample.

Is it a 'midi part' with notes triggering different drums, or one note triggering a loop from Kontakt 'Drum computer'?

• Gee_Flat

Wait a sec. Are you talking KK software or Keyboard?

Aside from this being unclear, it's becoming very clear that the decision to call the Keyboards and the Software the same thing was a bad idea.

• Tomas E

Yes, it's a midi drum loop which is assigned to one of the tracks in my DAW. And it's a one note loop from the Kontakt 'Drum machine' which contains a whole pattern (snare, kick etc).

Maybe this should have been posted in the Kontakt category instead...

• Tomas E

I agree! It becomes confusing when they have the same name.

• Tomas E

There should be some setting in the Kontakt instrument for this.

• Gee_Flat

So yeah, my initial recommendation is the only way. You can't pick it up at any beat.

If you're in the middle of bar 35, set your timeline marker to 35 with mouse so it snaps in and it will be in sync. Take into account that it's probably 2 bars long, so maybe you have to snap to bar 34.

Get a good groove and recreate it by hand because there is no way to drag the midi to the timeline. For that reason sometimes it's easier to just create a groove on the timeline which avoids all of this.

• Tomas E

I've used to do like that before, but now that there are so many pre-programmed drum patterns I thought I would take advantage of that instead.

The 'snap to bar' feature is probably called something else in my DAW so if I can't find it in the manual I'll contact the support.

Thanks Gee! I'll mark your first answer as the solution.

• Tomas E

Another way I just rediscovered (a long time since I worked with this kind of thing) is to just insert a 4 beat note and then repeat it every measure for as long as needed. That way the drums will get synced on the downbeat at the following measure.