New installation still need usb key?

skyant
skyant Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi guys, I have a desktop pc, I would like to install Komplete on a new notebook for travel, and then maybe change the desktop pc too, because 1) it's old, 2) the cpu doesn't support massive-x.

I now have a usb-key, so I have some questions:

1) is the usb-key still needed in 2023?

2) can i install on a new pc and keep the old installation on the old pc to check the songs are ok and for backup?

3) new notebooks don't have a dvd player, my licenses start from a crossgrade with komplete 8, and updates for 9 and 10, and if I remember correctly it asks for the original cd, which I have for all versions.

It would be nice to no longer depend on the usb-key (as for the cubase 12 license), which for now I have on the usb-key, but which I could avoid in a new installation. Thanks if you can help me clarify these things.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,039 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you don´t need the usb drive, but then everything gets downloaded from the internet. Or if you mean the steinberg usb dongle, you don´t need it for cubase 12 anymore, i have mine plugged out since i have cubase 12. You now have the "activation manager" app from steinberg.

If you install all stuff on the laptop, be sure to use the same drives and folders. In my case i have all programs and plugins on c drive - standard folders but all libraries on f drive (on all my computers). If you have everything on c drive on your pc, then make it the same on the laptop. This can save you lot´s of headache and work/relocation.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,039 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you don´t need the usb drive, but then everything gets downloaded from the internet. Or if you mean the steinberg usb dongle, you don´t need it for cubase 12 anymore, i have mine plugged out since i have cubase 12. You now have the "activation manager" app from steinberg.

If you install all stuff on the laptop, be sure to use the same drives and folders. In my case i have all programs and plugins on c drive - standard folders but all libraries on f drive (on all my computers). If you have everything on c drive on your pc, then make it the same on the laptop. This can save you lot´s of headache and work/relocation.

• skyant
    skyant Member Posts: 3 Member

Thanks a lot, great news. I will try as soon as I get the new pc. Also I have programs on c: (ssd) and libraries on disk f.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

You may install Komplete on up to 3 computers. Under the condition, you will use one installation at time.

No dongle needed for NI SW for years, if ever. You need to install Native Access to authorise NI SW. NA may also be used to download and install NI SW, so no need for installation discs.