How to change chords in Session prime bass?

Maq
Maq Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited January 2023 in Kontakt

Hello,

How is it possible to change chords in Session Prime Bass?

In the manual it says:

To adapt a specific phrase to a given scale, chord or interval, play the required chord or interval, such as a third, a sixth, a seventh on your keyboard. The corresponding notes contained in the phrase will be adapted accordingly. This way, you can easily convert a majorthird to a minor third, or vice versa.

Playing the normal chords (in phrase mode as the manual says), minor and major, both sound the same. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod

Hello,

have you tried set it to polyphone in patterns tab under melody triggers?

• Maq

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I tried. But it works with the bass in melody mode. I want to play chords with the phrases.

Just in case I am not understanding the way the software works:

• I want to play a "phrase" with an A Maj chord: I put the bass in "Phrase mode", and I keep pressed these keys while the phrase sounds:

• I want to play a A Min, the same but with these keys pressed:

The phrase sounds exactly the same in both ways.

Am I supposed to do anything different?

Thanks in advance.

• Uwe303
    edited January 2023

Ohh yes you are absolutely right, it does not work, you would have to use 3 instances and maybe shift the timing a bit. I tried that and it sounded not too bad - definitely worth a feature request, a polyphonic bass with no pre recorded chords, instead what we have here in that instrument, just polyphon. Im not a bass player or guitar player but maybe they don´t want something you can´t play on a real guitar, but that should be doable, to program it like you can play it on a real bass.

• Uwe303

like that if you have maschine you can open it

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

With the old Akkord guitars you create the intervals with left hand while triggering strumming patterns with the right'. Or 'phrases' in this case.

Is it possible you're not creating the chord on the assigned keys?

• Uwe303
    edited January 2023

I thought so, that's why I said that you shift a bit the timing, delay higher notes, cause you strum down, this should be also be implementable in kontakt, also for other play styles this should be possible to a degree at least. And no it's not possible as far as I can see with the pattern/phrases enabled.

• Maq

Thanks. I have not got a Maschine, so I can't try your preset. But thanks again!

If it does not work, what is the sense of this part of the manual?

To adapt a specific phrase to a given scale, chord or interval, play the required chord or interval, such as a third, a sixth, a seventh on your keyboard. The corresponding notes contained in the phrase will be adapted accordingly. This way, you can easily convert a majorthird to a minor third, or vice versa.

I play the chords but the phrases sound the same.

The fastest (but slowest than in the session guitar instruments) solution is to drag the midi and move the notes. But it is not too comfortable.

In session guitar instruments the guitars work as you say, threre are keys of the keyboard that act as chords (only one key per chord). But Session Prime Bass works different, and theoretically, you have to play normal chords (see quote of the user guide above) like in a normal arranger keyboard.

But I doesn't achieve to make it works (and I don't think e-instruments will sell a product that doesn't do what they say it do).

Thanks both of you!

• Gee_Flat

I watched a video. Is it possible you are set to mono and not polyphone?

• Uwe303

I also thought that, but as soon as you start the pattern it sets poliphony to mono.

• Gee_Flat

I saw your comment, but after watching the video I noticed you hadn't mentioned the mono part.

Anyway, I'm sure the user will figure out the step(s) he's omitting to make it work. It's something to do with the one note phrasing parameters.

I only took interest because I was considering Prime as an investment, but now that I know its more of a gimmick, I'll stick with Scarbee Pre. I prefer to play my parts and it sounds better.

• Uwe303

You can enter your notes like you want and polyphonic, and it sounds great, just if you use the pre recorded phrases it does not layer them, plays only the lowest note as phrase. I would definitely not call it a gimmick, the sound is great as far as I can tell.

• Gee_Flat

Yeah I know it can be played, and it does sound good. I said Pre-Bass sounds better.

All of those pattern based instruments are a gimmick to me. I have Abbey Road Drums and I've never used the Grooves.

I'm a composer and creating fake music with a bunch of preset musical patterns just feels wrong.

• Maq

Could you put the link of that video? Thanks!

I have only found videos in which they play individual notes.

• Gee_Flat

I'll post it, but he didn't do any chords. Just touched on the phrases briefly. Before I do...

Did you make sure you selected 'One Pitch' mode?

• Maq

Yes, I select One Pitch mode, but it doesn't work playing chords. Nonetheless, you can drag the midi and modify the notes manually in the daw, but it is not what the user guide says that you can make.

Nonetheless, I prefer the "midi drag" option working than the other stuff, because with this midi drag option you can modify more the phrases. It is a pity that they didn't put this option in other instruments like the guitar sunburst (in which you can only modify the start/end position, but not insert/move/delete individual notes).

Thanks again!