Advanced Search Criteria

shav
shav Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi all. Is there anyway to do more advanced search logic on the library. I put alot of tags into the comment field of my MP3s to organise my collection. For example, genre, subgenre, era, energy, etc... I'd like to be able to search using AND and OR criteria. For example "#house AND (#80s OR #90s)" to get all House music in collection from the 80s and 90s. This is a simple example but should explain the idea. Currently the search criteria seems to be based on AND logic only so searching for "#house #80s #90s" will return nothing

Best Answer

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

that's a good idea, at least to have it in a sub category would be nice, otherwise it would maybe to complicated and not doable from the controllers.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Imho, it does not matter it cannot be done from the controller. Even simpler criteria cannot (would be difficult), if one needs to input text string.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,217 Expert

Yeah, better search and better smart playlist would be stella.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Just a button press before you set a new filter to set it to be "or" and then everything i enter from then on is "or"?

• shav

Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm not looking to try and do this via the controller, not even sure how that would be possible. This is a search string to be typed out via the keyboard on the laptop. A button for OR won't work either as that would make the search exclusively OR. Back to my previous example, searching "#house #80s #90s" using OR would return All house music and ALL music from the 80s and 90s.

• lord-carlos

There is a way to manually edit the collection nml files to mix AND and OR for a smart playlist. But it's still somewhat limited and iffy to setup.

I wish NI would give us more options in the UI. Maybe take some pointers from Rekrodbox when it comes to search filters.

• shav

Thanks. Editing NML is not really an option. I'm looking for a way to do a search in the moment rather than a predefined search in advance.

Do NI have a mechanism to submit feature request? Sounds like a few people would be interested in more advanced search capabilities

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

Yeah, take a look here: https://community.native-instruments.com/categories/share-ideas-for-traktor-pro

But I think there is already a request for better search.

Anyhow, I would not get your hopes up. There are not many developers left working for traktor. Progress is slow. Redesigning the collection browser is on the roadmap, but with current pace it might first make it in 2024.

• shav

Thanks lord-carlos. I've submitted the idea so hopefully it will get put up and get the necessary votes.