Is a batch resave beneficial for registered Kontakt libraries?

thinking
thinking Member Posts: 6 Member

I am trying to speed up some library loading times, I see that people recommend batch resave as one tip (also removing virus checking). However, there is not much info other than how to do the batch resave. Does the batch resave actually save loading times? And is it okay to do this to registered libraries, not just the libraries I load directly in the file browser?

TIA

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Batch resave doesn't do ANYTHING regarding RAM load at all. It's literally automating this procedure: open NKI, resave it/overwrite, close NKI. That's all.

This can temporarily speed up loading of instruments until you power cycle your machine. It only speeds up loading of insturments of older Kontakt libraries before the NKI file format changed (or if the library was created on a Mac and you're loading it on Windows, or vice versa).

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

One thing I've read is that if you do a batch re-save of an older library, for example K6 in K7, the libraries will be tied to that version and won't open in K6.

Maybe that is wrong, but you should look into it. I think the speed thing is debatable.

• thinking

I think you are correct, it is not backward compatible. If you do the resave you can't use it in an older version.

But that is okay for me. I won't do 7 yet, but I would like to know if it's worth it!! :)

• Donkey Oaty
    Donkey Oaty Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2023

I need to do a batch resave too.

I have also heard that if you do it in Kontakt 7, Kontakt 6 (and all the instruments in tracks in songs prior to Kontakt 7 still in MIDI format - and those in Audio format that have track transform - back to MIDI) will not work and the instrument and its settings would need replacing with the Kontakt 7 version. This could be a lot of work.

Diid NI consider this?

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

It's said that it will increase load times of big instruments exponentially. It's also been advised to do it one library at a time. I've never seen the benefit over here.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I do not use it. I think the aim of batch resave is not to speedup the load, but reduce RAM needed.

Consider, that Stradivari Violin may take up to 5 GB RAM. If one uses all four instruments from Cremona series about 20 GB of RAM may be used. If all samples have to be loaded.

IMHO the way to speedup loading times is to have the fastest disc possible. When I switched from fast SATA SSD to fast NVMe SSD the load times were reduced by 3-4. And it could be reduced again by 2, if switching to current, even faster NVMe SSDs..... So, switching from SATA to latest MVMe SSD may reduce load times by factor of 10, or so.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

We usually recommend the batch re-save thing when users have missing samples dialog or if they have performance issues or long loading times. In general I would say, it can't hurt to try, given that you are aware that if you do it, the library won't load in previous versions of Kontakt.

• thinking

@Jeremy_NI Thanks, I am not having a problem with missing files, but some libraries take a while to load so I figured I would just resave to speed it up a little. Silly question, but, can I do this with registered libraries too? Not just the unregistered libraries (where you open with full kontakt in file browser)?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

Yes, you can do that with registered libraries. Hopefully that helps reducing the loading times.

• EvilDragon
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Batch resave doesn't do ANYTHING regarding RAM load at all. It's literally automating this procedure: open NKI, resave it/overwrite, close NKI. That's all.

This can temporarily speed up loading of instruments until you power cycle your machine. It only speeds up loading of insturments of older Kontakt libraries before the NKI file format changed (or if the library was created on a Mac and you're loading it on Windows, or vice versa).

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

Some guy shilling for his Youtube channel claimed his instrument went form a 6.5 minute load to 9 seconds.

First thought was, do a re-boot and open it again for everyone to see.

• EvilDragon

Yeah, lol.

• Donkey Oaty

I have performance issues, probably due to adding new products on external drives. So if I do a batch resave on Kontak 7, would you please tell me what happens to all the MIDI trakcs in existing songs that use Kontakt 6.5? Because I have a load of them and a lot of NI, 3rd Party full registration and 3rd party 'Quick load only' product in them - typically with the settings to the instruments tweaked within those songs.

I've read that Kontakt 6.X won't find resources after a batch resave in Kontak 7. Is this true?

Regards,

D O

• Gee_Flat

The last part is true of any Kontakt version. If you make an instrument in K5 and then open it in K6 and save it, it will not load into K5.

• Donkey Oaty

Do you happen to know what happens if I have a VST3 provided by either NI or a reputable 3rd party, loaded in a MIDI track I previously created using Kontakt 6.X, after I do a batch resave in Kontakt 7, please? Does Kontakt 7 appear in the track and take over - or do I have to reload the instrument and re-setup all its preferences / settings?

• Gee_Flat

The guy 4 posts back knows more than I will ever know, but my advice is to not save any K6 instruments while loaded in K7.

Just continue using Kontakt 6 with the KFL 1.