Komplete Kontrol loads wrong version?

2»

Comments

• PulseCode
    PulseCode Member Posts: 132 Helper

that option works in cubase as well, but when you save the project and reload it, it loads the latest version. Are you not seeing that, in ableton ?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

No, when I save and reload its loaded in Kontakt 5 or 6

• PulseCode
    edited January 2023

So it’s a cubase issue? That is really odd, why would Komplete Kontrol do this and not Cubase vst tracks???

• PulseCode

I tried it with Cubase 11 Pro same issue???

• JesterMgee

Cant answer that, I use Ableton Live and have the issue on my end sorted so either i'm doing something different to make it work or the issue is not affecting Ableton Live.

What happens if you try loading NKS files in the standalone KK? Does it pull up Kontakt 6 or 7? Seems strange to me if it pulls up the correct version initially but then calls up the latest version always on project load. Check the version of KK you are using matches the standalone, and also maybe test between the VST2 and VST3 versions of the plugin

• PulseCode
    edited January 2023

KK stand alone pulls up K6 VST3 always, so does Cubase version, but when you save it, and reopen it's K7 vst3. are you using vst2 or 3 of K6? if I understand it correctly the goal is to move to vst3, steinberg will stop supporting vst2.x in 2 years. Cubase will not allow vst2.x in it's future updates so vst3 plugins only.

I know you mentioned, that you were having the same issue earlier, how were you able to get yours to work?

• JesterMgee

Issue I had was simply when I loaded old projects, K7 was being loaded which meant it was a player only, not the full plugin I have with K6. I just disabled the option to not use latest plugin.

If you are on Windows I wouldn't stress about VST2 not being supported by Steinberg, KK can load both VST2 and VST3 so even if VST2 is no longer scanned by Cubase, VST2 will still load in KK.

Maybe download Reaper as a test and try the same thing there to see if it is a Cubase issue or not. All I know is on my end, with Ableton Live and using the VST2 or VST3 versions of KK everything seems fine for me

• PulseCode
    edited January 2023

that's a great idea, I will try it...

I think I am going to try Bitwig Studio 30 days free version. made by same software engineers as ableton. I mean they use to work for ableton. plus it has plugin sandboxing aka crash protection built in.  

• PulseCode
    edited January 2023

it's a bug!

now I know it's 100% Komplete Kontrol, because bitwig is doing the same.

• PulseCode

Another interesting observation Kontak6 is more efficient than K7 when it comes to ASIO load. 10 tracks for same plugin in K7 is harder on system than 10 of K6. using same exact library, perhaps K7 under the hood has more going on, but, sound wise I don't hear the difference. 

• JesterMgee

Would need actual metrics / numbers and method to test to confirm this.

I wouldn't doubt it. Just changes in the GUI can cause more CPU load, even when not displayed what is changed around the core sound engine can still impact the overall load.

Take Omnisphere, when I used that way back at v1.2 it was super fast to load even on a PC back in 2011. It has been bloated up over the years with more features than one could ever need, more layers and more sounds and on a modern computer with an SSD it still can take 8-10 seconds to fully load from scratch compared to just a few years ago. Still my goto synth, but man it is slow compared to booting up say Keyscape which is basically an instant load.

This is why I am kind of concerned for the next iteration of Komplete Kontrol. One of the things I have always liked is the fact it is pretty lean and reasonably efficient which it NEEDS to be in order to be used on 20+ tracks in a project. Adding too much extra functionality, eye candy graphics and complex display panels multiplied by 20 instances takes up resources and i'd way prefer a simple browser without the 4k graphics and animated panels in favor for the smallest memory size and least amount of CPU load possible.

• PulseCode

I agree the plugin wrapper hosting vst/i should be lean, I do use KK quite a bit with my S88 MKII, I love the scale function, and light guide, but even that implementation is inconsistent, even with NI's own libraries, when one uses libraries, with key switches, and Scale shift say on white keys only or even in learn mode. You can not keyswitch certain articulations that are not part of the note set. Scale function effect some libraries key switches and does not effect others.

I have an i9 10850K I can do 40 to 50 tracks without an issue, of course depends on the library but works with most.

• nowiamone
    nowiamone Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2023

Hello,

concerning the issue of "wanting to have a specific Kontakt version open in KK" i have a question:

I was trying to workaround the whole issue by saving a Kontakt NKI file into a KK user preset with an older version of Kontakt and then always load that specific KK user preset (and of course having 'always use latest version' disabled). Doesnt work, lol. When clicking the KK user preset, the NEW Kontakt version tries to open the preset which was saved with the OLD kontakt version... The only way i can use my old Kontakt version is by loading it freshly into KK via the VST load function- but NEVER via loading a KK Preset or NKI (browser).

So the question is: is there a way to edit the KK user preset files (*.nksn)? I m sure that nksn file includes some sort of "open with default kontakt" or something similar, and i want to force Komplete Kontrol to open the old nki files with my specific old kontakt version.

Thank you :)

• Tephrosis
    Tephrosis Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I'm having the same issues as you guys.

I load an old version of kontakt 5, because some older vst's work with it. When I save the current track in my daw, or as an .nksn, the next time I open kk, the kontakt version is wrong and I have to do everything from scratch ...