Whatever happened to the Traktor Kontrol S8?

Phil Friel
Phil Friel Member Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

A few short years ago I spent a not inconsiderable sum (almost a thousand pounds) on a Traktor Kontrol S8, my very first and still my only DJ controller. I haven't been on these forums in a long time, but I now can find no information on it or mention of it whatsoever on here, or on the Native Instruments products list. We have the S2, S3 and S4, but no S8. It seems to have disappeared without a trace. Whatever happened to the Traktor Kontrol S8?

Did I waste almost a thousand pounds on hardware that is no longer supported, or is it still fully supported by the current version of Traktor Pro 3 (I'm still using Traktor Pro 2, but would like to upgrade to version 3)?

Best Answers

Answers

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru
    Answer ✓

Traktor S8 is a discontinued product like all products are eventually. S8 works well with Traktor pro 3 as you can really make use of stems, remix decks etc.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Answer ✓

Your question is an interesting one and I hope NI representatives drop some info on what to expect but meanwhile I will share some links for those without enough background to (maybe) follow (or start) the point.

• Mutis

Was definetly discontinnued? I known about S5/D2 but not about S8…

• Tellmeaboutit123

Yes I believe so. There haven’t been FW updates for ages on it. Traktor will continue to work with it though for many a year. I had a s8 until very recently and only sold as I prefer jogs so I bought a s4 mk3.

I had a screen modification. Do a search for s8 screen mod. It changed the s8 made it way better. Moving waveforms on screens, customisable settings all from the screen. It was very good.

• Mutis
    edited January 2023

In this topic the hyperlink to product gives back an error too.

Maybe NI made a “fade out” without official statement?

I expected discontinnuation since S5/D2 official statement but with its own official statement… I hope isn’t a “shady movement” because these things hurt trust once again.

I will wait for @Nico_NI or @Matt_NI info if there is any…

• Tellmeaboutit123

Why is this really important to you? Just curious as the software works perfectly with the S8. The S8 is like a 8/9 year old product. All products get discontinued eventually. The S8 had an amazing run and like a say Traktor pro 3 and 4 when it lands will be a perfect fit for s8.

• Mutis

It’s just a matter of trust. It’s the final nail in the coffin for me as a brand.

• Tellmeaboutit123

Oh I see. If your product is now discontinued you don’t trust them, is that what you’re saying? Just so I understand. Or do you feel you needed some kind of official announcement from NI? I did see the s8 on their website for ages but wasn’t available to buy. I think you can buy at some retailers but not many.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

Just as a comparison take a look at how many Pioneer controllers are discontinued. Numark is at the other end of the spectrum, lol, they still list 15year old products?

As far as support, there is always help and posts for most any situation a person might have. And Support still helps with really any topic. The warranty is way past due, so that support is of course gone.

The S8 looks older now, I doubt anyone wanted to pay more than $400usd. (Especially when the S4mk3 is the same price.)

A newer version is needed with an updated look and possibly some changes in button placement and interaction.

I still use the S8 and S4mk3, the S8 is harder to navigate especially when changing key, the Mixer effects can be mapped but don't have colors or labels to know what is active. The other kind of strange part is the touch strips.

It was a smart move, in my opinion, I do hope they make another version, possibly with the Stem separation.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod
    edited January 2023

S8 controller was so good and ahead of time. The channel fader component was the issue with this units. It wares out easily.

And quite expensive to get replacements from NI 👎️

• Mutis
    edited January 2023

First things first.

I never bought an S8 so “not my product”. I’m talking as fan/user of the brand (mainly Traktor).

What I’m saying (third time) is:

If D2/S5 had an official statement about their discontinnuation I expect the same behaviour if S8 was/is/become discontinnued or Anyone could understand “lazy support” or “shady movement” (so let people buy something believing it’s still in production/firmware updates and everything users lose when discontinnuation statement arises).

That’s why I can’t believe it and said “wait for NI answer”. It will go against trust in the brand.

Maybe that statement was done whatsoever and NI can point us to that source.

To make a comparison Rane/Serato has its own issues with SL boxes (and some mixers). These were discontinnued with an statement from Serato (due drivers, probably agreements) and inMusic let users believe it was Serato fault.

Serato gets the blame but it’s inMusic who is doing “shady movements” to avoid keeping updates of preadquisition Rane models and boost sales of after adquisition like Twelves or Rane One (which btw are class compliant).

I have my concerns with NI management from trust standpoint and I will love to advice friends about buying its hardware for certain setups but I can’t trust NI if these things aren’t clear as I can’t advice Rane hardware neither.

Makes sense?

• Phil Friel

If the S8 still works well with Traktor 3, stems and all the rest, that would mitigate much of the problem for me and allow me to upgrade to Traktor 3. As long as it keeps working properly, I'll be happy. When it doesn't, I won't be.

Unfortunately, as with all discontinued gear, there will come a time when it will no longer be compatible with updates. At that point, the only solution for me would be to stop upgrading Traktor and either stick permanently with the S8 and the older Traktor software, or jump ship and either go for something newer by NI, or something different altogether.

After my experience with NI and the S8, it will more likely be "something different altogether". And NOT a very expensive, premium controller. My days of spending large sums of money on expensive hardware only to have it "discontinued" a few months later are over.

Back when I bought the S8, It was NI's newest, biggest, baddest, most expensive controller. I'd been doing mobile gigs for many months with a laptop, Traktor 2 and an Audio 10 soundcard (small, light, easy to carry and can squeeze into the smallest of spaces), but I was persuaded by NI's hype to get myself a "proper controller". So I went for the S8. The fact that it didn't have jogwheels was a major plus for me. I'd been DJaying since the late-70s and wanted to embrace fully the digital DJ paradigm. For me, that meant totally getting away from turntables, CDJ players, jogwheels, the lot.

And I loved the S8 (still do), despite a few little niggles. It cost me almost a thousand British pounds, which was quite a lot of money for me at the time (getting older, DJ career winding down a bit, not as many gigs, etc). But I was very satisfied with the hardware. What I'm not happy with is the ****** way NI treated the S8 and the people who had shelled out a big chunk of cash for it.

The thing that really pisses me off is that the S8 had a really short time on the market. It should've been NI's flagship No.1 controller for years before it was "discontinued", but it wasn't. "Traktor S8 is a discontinued product like all products are eventually"? But it WASN'T "eventually" or "years later". This was their NEWEST, most expensive premium controller. And they dumped it so quickly and uncerimoniously. They KNEW that they were going to dump it, but they kept quiet about that as they wanted to shift remaining stocks of the S8 and they continued raking in the cash from the mugs (like me) that they'd conned into buying it.

It seems that no sooner was the S8 on the market than NI did a double take, decided that they'd made a huge mistake releasing a controller without jogwheels, and decided to rectify that. A relatively short time later, they released the all-singing, all-dancing S4 Mk3, with jogwheels (of course) and its "haptic this" and "haptic that", and the S8 was quickly and quietly "disappeared" and swept under the carpet, while even older gear like the S2 and S4 Mk2 still received some support. That was not cool, not cool at all. And it REALLY pissed me off. I'd been with NI since I first became interested in digital DJaying, but this REALLY sullied their reputation in my eyes.

I love the S8 for what it is, but if I'd known what NI were going to do, I definitely would NOT have spent almost £1000 on it. I would've waited for the S4 Mk3. But because of the way NI handled the S8 episode, I now steadfastly, on principle, refuse to shell out for the S4 Mk3. They won't get another penny out of me for hardware (maybe Traktor 3), and I reckon there are lots of other people out there who feel likewise after being stung the same way.

Someone else in this discussion made the comment about how Numark actively push and support all their older controllers, even "15 years" after their release. I admire and respect that. It shows a great level of respect for and loyalty to their customers. Maybe a cheap or mid-range Numark controller should be my next hardware? NI should take a few notes from the Numark playbook and show some respect for their older gear and their customers who pay up for it.

The whole episode with the S8 left a terrible taste in my mouth and has left me highly reluctant to spend large sums of money on NI hardware in the future.

• Phil Friel

Thank you for the interesting links.Much fascinating reading there, and a lot of it reinforcing my own long-held opinions on the matter.

• Phil Friel

So was the flagship soundcard, the Audio 10. Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder what in the name of the seven galaxies Native Instruments are doing.

• Phil Friel

Is this an official NI firmware update? If so, I'll be looking for this one. But the fact that there have been no firmware updates for the S8 for ages proves that NI have totally lost interest in it. They should, at the very least, keep pushing out firmware updates and make sure that it is fully supported by future versions of Traktor. Support of older hardware and loyal customers who paid out large amounts of cash for this hardware is a measure of how decent and trustworthy any company is. I've had far, far too many bad experiences over the years with unscrupulous hardware and software companies who only care about the great $$$ and sod the customers.