Cherry Audio \ Korg VST3 and MORE not displaying in KK within Ableton!

JesterMgee
JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
edited January 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Confirmed by another user, if you open a Cherry Audio Synth (VST3 synth) in KK within Ableton you get this display:

All synths are like this, happens even if you manually load the plugin from the plugins menu and only happens loading the VST3 version of a CA plugin in the VST3 version of KK within Ableton.

In standalone KK, displays fine.

Loading a VST3 version of CA plugin in Ableton displays fine

Loading VST2 version in KK displays fine

Loading VST3 version in KK VST2/3 is broken

Instrument still functions, just no GUI

No idea if this is a Cherry Audio issue or a KK issue but only this combination is at fault. Will have to raise tickets with NI and CA for this one

Comments

• JesterMgee

Loading within Maschine standalone and also with Maschine on a track in Live is fine so this seems to only be within KK in a DAW, waiting for Reaper to scan my plugins to test and see if it also happens in that but if anyone has another DAW on WIndows, see if it works there

• JesterMgee

Ok, testing in Reaper this is not an issue so the problem appears to be isolated to Ableton Live and Komplete Kontrol

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

Not seeing this on my M1 Max Mac Studio

• JesterMgee

Wouldn't expect this to affect macs, seems a windows thing in how the GUI is drawn

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

OK - makes a change I suppose :)

• J Tracks
    J Tracks Member Posts: 5 Member

I just noticed this problem as well using Komplete Kontrol in Ableton. I'm on a Windows machine.

• JesterMgee

Cherry Audio have already gotten back to me, on a weekend, shows how good they are at support.

They confirm this issue and are looking into it. Does not mean the issue is their end, could be an issue with Komplete Kontrol still but at least they are on it.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Thanks for flagging this @JesterMgee, please let us know if you have updates from CherryAudio. I'll let the team know about it.

• JesterMgee
    edited January 2023

Adding more info to this problem, this is not a specific Cherry Audio issue and is also affecting Korg plugins. Again, VST2 is working fine but VST3 of all these plugins is showing no GUI (All Korg VST3 plugins have this issue), this is a Windows issue and seems isolated to KK within Ableton Live using VST3. Any other variance to that combination does not show the issue but I have 3 confirmed cases.

Abletron have advised they will look into it but "could take some time" so anyone on WIndows reading this, use the VST2 versions of plugins as much as possible in Ableton live. Kind of kills my desire to start migrating my VST2 to VST3 plugins tho.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro

I'm on Windows 10 using Ableton 11 and 2.8.1 Komplete Kontrol and have no problems with VST2 or VST3 plugins. Everything works normally including in Kontakt7 and that also includes some non NI plugins. I can't think of a single thing that hasn't worked. Perhaps it's your graphics processor? Mine is just the standard one that came with my PC.

• JesterMgee

Have you tested specifically what I have posted about?

This is not an issue that affects all plugins, specifically it affects what I have posted (Cherry Audio and Korg plugins using VST3 versions in KK). VST2 is unaffected, most plugins are fine but the mentioned ones are an issue, and trust me, I know how to test and rule things out, have tested this issue on 2 different machines both with dedicated Nvidia graphics and even cross checked this is NOT an issue when used in Reaper or even Maschine, only KK within Ableton Live when loading the VST3 version of the mentioned plugins.

Cherry Audio have also confirmed this to be an issue so it's pretty confirmed and Cherry Audio are very responsive and pro active, this new development however points to the problem being either KK or Ableton so it's now a waiting game to see these companies check this problem in more detail.

Possibly affects other plugins, seems to be some issue in how some plugins render the GUI

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro
    edited January 2023

It seems to affect a lot of plugins. I did some testing and these all have this issue:

• Algonaut Atlas
    • All Cherry Audio synths
    • D16 Phoscyon 2
    • GForce OB-E and Oddity 3, but for some reason SEM is working fine
    • Some Korg synths
    • Plugin Alliance DS Thorn
    • Plugin Boutique Scaler 2
    • reFX Nexus 4 and Vanguard
    • Sonic Academy Kick 2 (ANA2 works fine)
    • Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra (free version)
    • All TAL synths
    • All UJAM plugins (at least all the ones I own)
    • Waldorf Streichfett

As already mentioned, this only happens in Ableton Live. I've tested in Bitwig 4, Cubase 12, FL Studio 21 and Studio One 6 and no issues there.

@JesterMgee for me only a few Korg plugins are affected. Are your Korg plugins all on their latest version (There were some updates this week)?

• JesterMgee

I ahve only tested a few Korg plugins, TBH even just a few plugins are a problem so doesn't matter exactly which ones, just the fact this is now a more major problem that kind of grinds a halt to using VST3 as an option on Windows in Ableton Live, this just happens to be my DAW of choice.

I have tickets open with Ableton and NI, the issue is going to be how long it takes to even get an answer tho but will see.

• JesterMgee

Well at least Ableton have gotten back to me and confirmed and logged the issue. No idea of a fix but hopefully it is soon.

• JesterMgee

NI have also now confirmed this as an issue too so all parties involved have been able to confirm the problem and hopefully this means it will be on-track for a fix soon.