lost 3rd party NKS instruments

tokenboomer
tokenboomer Member Posts: 24 Member

I recently had to reinstall my operating system on my Mac. The process involved erasing my internal SSD drive, reinstalling Monterey, and then restoring my computer using Time Machine. This caused a number of issues with Komplete Kontrol in particular. Most of these I've solved but I have one lingering issue. I have a number of third-party NKS compatible instruments which used to be in my library tab and are now gone as are the preset previews. The instruments themselves do show up in the user window but in that context do not have previews. How do I get things back the way they were?

Best Answer

• tokenboomer
    Answer ✓

Hi Diam,

I solved the problem by reinstalling the instruments in question. When I did, Komplete Kontrol saw them. Thankfully I did not lose the favorites.

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Diam
    Diam Member Posts: 210 Helper
    edited January 2023

Depends on the specific product really. Many of the previews for Kontakt (including some third parties) products are accessible via Native Access and will reside in a folder named NBPL. Others are stored in specific Kontakt library folders alongside the presets or snapshots, though you will need to show hidden files to see these folders. Press the “Command” + “Shift” + “.” (period) keys at the same time for Mac. The folders are not named in a conventional manner and use UPID numbers, which you can find in the Kontakt library .nicnt files.

Otherwise, some vendors provide NKS files and previews on their websites if you own the products. Other than that for VST/AU plugin previews and presets, you will find some user banks on this forum or you can look up freelance soundlabs, who sells a host of NKS maps with previews.

Hope that helps.

• tokenboomer
    Answer ✓

Hi Diam,

I solved the problem by reinstalling the instruments in question. When I did, Komplete Kontrol saw them. Thankfully I did not lose the favorites.

Thanks for your help.

• Diam

No probs. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

• tokenboomer

Actually it turned out that I didn't get it sorted. I've been having issues with my computer starting up very slowly and occasionally crashing. Time spent with Apple support persons did not solve the issue. Then I decided to check the start up items on my computer and discovered that I have five copies of an item called NIHostintegration Agent. I discovered this after my most recent crash and that crash had reintroduced all of the problems I was having before with both Native Access and Komplete Kontrol. In short I spent about eight hours reinstalling a lot of software only to have everything revert back to the way it was after the crash. What I'm wondering now is what would happen if I deleted 4 out the 5 instances of NIHostintegration Agent. I have, of course, contacted NI support about this, but they're typically quite slow in the response, and often send me cut and paste formulas that don't deal with the actual issue I'm dealing with.

• Diam

There should probably only be one running, which you can find in Activity Monitor in Mac Utilities. This is just to support hardware integration, but may have different processes running for relative softwares if more than one are open. You are fine to shut these down however (in Activity Monitor) and see if it resolves the issue, though they consume very little CPU.

It may be another config issue causing problems, but without knowing your specific setup or looking at your system, it would just be speculation for most even the NI team.