Komplete Kontrol Day 1 unbox help

pavetheway_everyday
pavetheway_everyday Member Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Thanks in advance for your help!

My Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 just arrived today...and I could use some guidance on how best to proceed....

1. how can I update the firmware? (I couldn't find the option once I downloaded and installed the software... I've already plugged in the keyboard, but I'm not sure how it can pair with the software etc...)
  2. What is the best way to download the instruments from Native Access onto my external hard drive...and can I easily use them with my Keyboard reading from the hard drive ? (My computer doesn't have big enough drives to download the Komplete Ultimate Composers Package...so I will rely on external hard drives)
  3. Any tips on a brand of Sustain pedal to buy for the keyboard?
  4. Are there any specific tutorials which you may recommend. I would rather receive a good recommendation here than rely on the Youtube Algorithm ~~~

Thank you again for your help!

🎡😍🎹

Best Answer

Answers

• pavetheway_everyday
    pavetheway_everyday Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2023

RE: Question 1

I read upon further inspection that because my computer uses the M1 Pro architecture, that the keyboard would search for firmware updates automatically ~~

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209570629?_ga=2.7902962.1999449087.1674153073-589717542.1673184973

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited January 2023

I'm not sure if you misunderstood, but "...the software checks for available firmware updates..." pertains to the software/firmware in the keyboard, not the software you downloaded. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's a new board, so its possible that your firmware is fully up to date.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 147 Advisor

1) Not 100% sure, but I think firmware updates are done/appear automatically. If nothing pops up I guess you're fine

2) Install Native Acces and before installing any products change the "Content location" to your external drive via the preferences (cogwheel icon in the left bottom corner). Don't change "Download location" and "Application location". Any external drive is ok, however SSD's are better because higher read speeds. Especially since you mentioned to have limited disk space, install the instruments 1 at a time.

3) never used one, don't know

4) Sanjay C and Jef Gibbons have excellent content on NI products (amongst others), as well as the Native Instruments YT channel

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Frimware updates are an optional download, according to the link the OP provided. Not automatic.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod
    Answer βœ“

For question C, we have a list of sustain pedals that were tested and approved: List of Compatible Pedals with KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboards

For the videos, you can start with the NI's Youtube channel, there are a couple of videos on Komplete Kontrol keyboards: