How come I instantly already have my account logged in, even when I just reinstalled Native Access?

hyper_kurry
hyper_kurry Member Posts: 3 Member

I uninstalled Native Access and all NI related instruments during a virus scare (thankfully it was resolved). But when I reinstalled it, as I opened it, it automatically has my account and all my registered vsts in it. How is it possible? I actually expected that I have to input my account in Access.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Windows has a thing called "Credential Manager". It could be that the password is stored there, whereas the username (email address) is stored in the registry.

I see these entries in that manager, but there's no username attached to any of them:

There is, however, a username field called "LastLoggedInUsername" inside the registry @ "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Native Access".

So, this is likely how it works.

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Probably, the information about your account, that NA uses, has not been uninstalled and NA found it after installation.

• hyper_kurry
    hyper_kurry Member Posts: 3 Member
  • Kubrak

Well, it may be written somewhere. On Win the usermane (email address is stored in registry), I do not know, where NI stores the password. It may be registry or a file somewhere.

On Mac I do not know at all.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Windows has a thing called "Credential Manager". It could be that the password is stored there, whereas the username (email address) is stored in the registry.

I see these entries in that manager, but there's no username attached to any of them:

There is, however, a username field called "LastLoggedInUsername" inside the registry @ "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Native Access".

So, this is likely how it works.

• Kubrak

NA or NTKDaemon probably read from registry LastLoggedUser and one of them gets password from Credential Manager.