KK S88 won't change track focus - any ideas?

PhilipJohnston
PhilipJohnston Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

When I change from one KK track to another in Logic, my S88 does not change focus—screen and associated keyboard lights remain stuck on whatever track had been selected at the start of the session.

I can manually fix this by clicking the keyboard icon in the top right of the KK window. (See screenshot). But it's a temporary nuisance fix - I have to do it every time I change tracks.

I'm running Logic Pro 10.7.5; issue existed in previous versions too.

Anybody else encountered this problem (or defeated it?).

Best Answer

• Johan Smolinski
    Johan Smolinski Member Posts: 7 Member
    Answer ✓

Oh, wait. The buttons on the keyboard do actually work. Pressing up/down navigates the tracks, and while doing so, also the lightguide keeps synced! That's at least a workaround. However, selecting a track in Live using the mouse or Push still is no go. I have to change them using the buttons. I'm enormously convinced this used to work flawlessly before, but I have no idea when it stopped working or what I did.

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro

Yes I ran into that early on with my S49 keyboard. Apparently it depends not on whether the track is selected, but whether it's been enabled for recording. I just hit the keyboard icon and don't worry about it.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

Interesting - I'm encountering the same issue intermittently in the last few days. Not at all sure why but its annoying and while I can hit the keyboard button I shouldn't need to really.

• PhilipJohnston

I posted this to VI Control forums as well, had several responses confirming this is a bug that also affects Studio One and Cubase users. Should be core functionality for a keyboard that advertises DAW integration—here's hoping NI issue a fix.

• SF_Green
    SF_Green Member Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2023

No, working OK here in Cubase. Is everyone who has this issue on Mac (since OP is on Logic)?

KK 2.8.1 - VST3

Cubase Pro 12.0.52

Win 10 Pro 1909

• Keith Cocker
    edited January 2023

I'm om a Mac - M1 max in a Mac Studio. KK is definitely "broken" by the last update. And for those, like myself, who have Spitfire Audio Libraries this is a big problem. Those libraries that use the Spitfire Plugin have stopped showing playable range and articulations in KK and on Komplete keyboards. Spitfire are aware of the problem and talking to NI but I hope they get this sorted very soon.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

@PhilipJohnston What is your OS? Do you have a M1 or Intel Mac? Are there other MIDI controllers or control surfaces in your setup? Do Komplete Kontrol and Logic both have Full Disk Access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

• PhilipJohnston
    edited January 2023

Further to my more detailed answer to Jeremy_NI (awaiting moderation as I'm writing this) - just tested enabling full disk access for both Komplete Kontrol and Logic Pro, unfortunately does not resolve the issue. The only way to have Komplete Kontrol update focus correctly remains to click on the keyboard icon every time a new track is selected.

• Keith Cocker

This problem continues to be frustrating. It’s clearly broken. The only way I find to fix it is to delete the KK item in Control Surfaces Setup in Logic, restart Logic and let Logic re-find KK and set it up again. This lasts for a short while and then becomes necessary again. Please NI get to grips with the significant problems bedevilling the latest version of KK.

• PhilipJohnston
    edited January 2023

Hi Jeremy, thanks for this. Mac OS 12.6.2, M1 MacBook Pro, no other control surfaces in the setup, save for a pair of Streamdecks (they're not doing anything MIDI related, just handling keyboard shortcuts for me).

Recently started using Patchboard, but the problem existed prior to that, and has not been changed at all by adding Patchboard into the chain.

Neither Logic nor Komplete Kontrol had full disk access, changing that didn't resolve the issue though.

My enquiries at VI Control forums had Logic, Studio One and Cubase users confirming the same issue; I'm getting the sense that a lot of Komplete Kontrol users will be interested in a fix.

• PhilipJohnston

Hi Jeremy, thanks for this. Mac OS 12.6.2, M1 MacBook Pro, no other control surfaces in the setup, save for a pair of Streamdecks (they're not doing anything MIDI related, just handling keyboard shortcuts for me).

Recently started using Patchboard, but the problem existed prior to that, and has not been changed at all by adding Patchboard into the chain.

Neither Logic nor Komplete Kontrol had full disk access, wasn't aware that was required, will test and update with results.

My enquiries at VI Control forums had Logic, Studio One and Cubase users confirming the same issue; I'm getting the sense that a lot of Komplete Kontrol users will be interested in a fix.

• Jeremy_NI

@PhilipJohnston I remember cases where similar devices as Streamdecks being a conflict. My advise would be to reset all Logic preferences, then integrate the Komplete Kontrol keyboard, then adding devices to the setup one by one to see at what point things start to break.

Worth checking as well, do you rely on a template for your Logic projects? If you create a brand new project, only load a few Komplete Kontrol instances, load some instruments, are you able to navigate through them? Does the autofocus break too?

As for these other users on VI Control, are these recent posts? There were some issues in the past for Cubase (under certain circumstances). The integration is quite different from DAW to DAW and also from operating system to operating system. If you interact with them, let them know they should get in touch with us, if they haven't already.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited January 2023

@Keith Cocker I see you contacted our support about another issue with Komplete Kontrol but couldn't find any ticket related to Logic integration. It might be good to mention it to my colleagues. It should be working.

• Keith Cocker

@Jeremy_NI Thanks Jeremy. I will do. Best wishes

• Johan Smolinski
    edited January 2023

I have a similar experience using Ableton Live 11.2.7. I have got most things to work, but I need to click the keyboard icon in Komplete Kontrol to switch the lightguide and parameters to reflect the selected instrument. It used to follow along by just changing track.

MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max, macOS 12.6.2 Monterey, Komplete Kontrol 2.1.8.

I have followed https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406832231441 and the transport controls are working. Not the arrow buttons though. That I don't care very much about, cause I use a Push 2 for navigation.

• Johan Smolinski
    Answer ✓

Oh, wait. The buttons on the keyboard do actually work. Pressing up/down navigates the tracks, and while doing so, also the lightguide keeps synced! That's at least a workaround. However, selecting a track in Live using the mouse or Push still is no go. I have to change them using the buttons. I'm enormously convinced this used to work flawlessly before, but I have no idea when it stopped working or what I did.