Kontakt won't show current wave via MIDI in round robin instruments

Jim Daneker
Jim Daneker Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited January 2023 in Kontakt

Hey Guys,

My next batch of Kontakt instruments are much deeper than anything I've done before; they all have 3-6 round robins, several groups, lots of velocity layers, etc.

The problem I'm running into is that in Kontakt, the Wave Editor only shows the current sample for just one round robin - it won't update to show the others. So in a patch with 4 RR's, it only shows me the current wave every 4th time I hit a key. "Select By MIDI" is enabled in the Groups tab and "Select Zone by MIDI" is on in the Mapping tab. I've also tried toggling "Edit All Groups" as well. This is in Kontakt 6.7.1.

How does one edit a sample if Kontakt won't display it?!? I really hope I'm just missing something simple... thanks in advance!

Jim

Tagged:

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited January 2023

You have layers of 'Zones' that are stacked on top of each other.

You can control + click on those Zones and cycle through each, and view each one in the 'Wave Editor'.

Also, 'Selected Groups Only' will refine your selections.

• Jim Daneker
    edited January 2023

Not sure exactly where you mean, but when I Ctrl-click on a zone (in the Mapping Editor) that brings up a contextual menu.

No matter what I try, nothing seems to do what I want: I'd like each successive MIDI keystroke to show me the Wave that's currently playing. On a patch with 4 round robins (each of which is its own Group), it will only display just one of those round robins instead of cycling though all of them.

So, I have to click on each RR group one by one so it will show me the corresponding Wave in that group. Is there no way Kontakt will just show me the currently playing Wave via MIDI, regardless of what Group it's in? This is such a simple thing - I feel like I've got to be missing something somewhere ;-)

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

Yeah, I misunderstood. Or didn't read it close enough.

I think your reasoning isn't thought out.

What if the Group has multiple samples? Which one will it display in the Wave Editor as you cycle through the round robiin groups?

I was talkiing about cycling through stacked Zones in one Group. Ctrl + Click will disiplay each Zone's sample in the 'Wave Editor'.

• Jim Daneker
    edited January 2023

It's simple in this case: there are 4 groups; each one represents a round robin cycle. So when I repeatedly hit middle C for example, I'm only ever hearing a single sample until I hit the key again, at which point it plays the next sample in the round robin cycle. However, Kontakt will only show me just the first sample - it won't show me each one as I cycle through them.

I want Kontakt to show me the currently playing sample, triggered via MIDI, in the Wave Editor, regardless of what group that zone/sample belongs to. Hope that makes better sense?

• Gee_Flat

It made absolute sense and I addressed it in my response.

In your case you have one sample per group, but what if your groups had multiple samples? As you cycle through the 4 groups, which one of the samples would Kontakt display in the editor?

That's one reason why it isn't a feature.

• Jim Daneker

Gotcha - I see what you're saying. I guess I'm just wishing it were a bit smarter about a case like this, given how it usually behaves. I've always known Kontakt to show the currently playing wave via MIDI, so it's frustrating that it won't ;-)

• Gee_Flat

"...given how it usually behaves..."

What version? I don't recall it ever working that way, and it doesn't make sense that it would work that way.

Groups are just containers that have no direct association with the Wave Editor.

• Jim Daneker

I'm currently on 6.7.1, but have used Kontakt since v1 - and it's always been this way as far as I can remember. I'm still not sure I'm communicating what I mean, so I made a quick video:

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

As I said, I understood 100%, so that was a lot of work for nothing. You're imagining something that didn't exist.

Of course you planted the seed of doubt in my mind, so I tried a quick RR in K5 and it works the same.

Want me to pull out K3 and test it too? 😀

• Jim Daneker

Well, it took all of 5 minutes and I've posted this on other forums so no harm done ;-)

As for me imagining something that didn't exist - clearly Kontakt has always done what I want on instruments without RRs - I wouldn't think it's a stretch for it to do it in my example since I'm only triggering one sample at a time. But yes, I get that there are more complex ones where that wouldn't apply.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

I deleted my reply to this comment because it was wrong.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

One final thought...

Having 'Select by Midi' enabled in the Group Editor won't do what you want anywyay. It's purpose is to select a specific Group with a specific Keyboard key. Or I guess an external controller.

Right?