How to do Probability/Conditional Trigs on Maschine + ?

L Dee
L Dee Member Posts: 6 Member

Hello hello!

I've been an admirer of NI products for a very very long time. I recently decided it was finally time to jump into the NI ecosystem by buying a Maschine +! I really really enjoy the feel and sound of this instrument. The sound design stuff you can do with it is just absolutely wild.

I have a lot of experience using devices from Akai and Elektron, and one thing I've been struggling to figure out is how to set a probability/conditional trig the same way you'd do on an Octatrack or Digitakt. I've watched some videos on the 'variation' function, but this doesn't seem to be quite the same thing. For instance, under 'Variation' if you use the 'random' function and set it to say 40%, it seems to just change value of notes that already recorded. On a Digitakt I can play out a 1 bar sequence live and then add extra steps but I can set probability values for each of those extra steps so that they only hit on a certain percentage i.e 50 percent of the time (or even a ratio). Is it possible to do this on the Maschine?

I'm guessing the best work around is to create multiple patterns with different variations to achieve a similar effect?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

You don't, Maschine doesn't have any Probability/Conditional Trigs like Elektron devices do.

That workaround could work depending on your requirements or doubling the pattern size so you have a longer sequence of 'randomness' but it will never be exactly the same as the Elektron stuff. There are other ways like using an unsynced LFO on the Sampler to add some randomness for example but you have limited destination parameters available.

Answers

• D-One
    Answer ✓

You don't, Maschine doesn't have any Probability/Conditional Trigs like Elektron devices do.

That workaround could work depending on your requirements or doubling the pattern size so you have a longer sequence of 'randomness' but it will never be exactly the same as the Elektron stuff. There are other ways like using an unsynced LFO on the Sampler to add some randomness for example but you have limited destination parameters available.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

Conditional Trigs are a very cool concept and I’d love to have them on the M+, but I guess they’re not easy to add to an existing sequencer implementation without major changes.

• L Dee
    L Dee Member Posts: 6 Member

Doesn't it seem like they could be implemented from the 'step' sequencer option? that seems like the best place to add them in.

• D-One
    edited February 2022

Personally, I would much, much prefer if it was just a MIDI function accessible all over and not tied exclusively to the STEP Sequencer; maybe a pattern option or part of the piano roll, not sure how to explain it.

I use chance / probability / velocity range all the time in Ableton for example; would love it on Maschine too for humanization purposes.

• Rhythm Droid
    Rhythm Droid Member Posts: 22 Helper

I, too, would love this. Of course, just because we can "imagine" how it might look, feel, or operate doesn't mean it is easy or quick to implement in software. I used to work for Elektron and this stuff was very complicated to implement in the code.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 995 Guru
  • lens
    lens Member Posts: 5 Member

Yes! Please gave us this Feature!!!

• Analog Sol
    Analog Sol Member Posts: 18 Member

Yes please! Actually my Roland MC-101 can do this, so fingers crossed Maschine could too. Maybe if enough of us request it they’ll do it

• TheAndroid
    TheAndroid Member Posts: 15 Member

+1.

This could be added to the EVENTS options.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 586 Guru

Elektron boxes use conditrigs in order to coax more mileage out of 64-step long patterns. As Maschine has no such step lenght limitations, there isn't an inherent need to have conditrigs, you can just make your patters 128 bars long and program all those variations in.

However, I do admit having probabilities for events could have it's uses.

• Analog Sol

Yes, you are right, but although we can have longer patterns on Maschine it is inconvenient for editing them. Especially live. If I want to change one small thing I have to do it in every bar, many times.

Having the ability to add a few occasional variations with conditional trigs means I can work in a shorter loop which makes it quicker to change the main notes that are looping.

• Analog Sol

Excellent! This is great news as it should hopefully put more pressure on Native Instruments to add probability too.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro
    edited May 2022

If we DON'T ask for it, we might get it.... typically features that are requested never materialize, while surprisingly features nobody was talking about are developed ;P