bluetooth headphones track preview

jdfnnl
jdfnnl Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited January 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

The goal is to begin learning Traktor with minimal initial equipment investment. Would this be possible configuring Win10 for multiple audio outputs? Thinking the 1/8" headphone jack with another simply being a pair of bluetooth headphones. Maybe a separate app for track preview could be used in conjunction with the 'app volume and device preference' audio setting menu (attached screenshot). There is also the stereo mix option under the recording but, but I am uncertain if this is useful for defining a separate audio interface. Ideally configuring this second output to preview tracks in Traktor would be ideal. How do people work this out?

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,221 Expert

You need to create a single virtual audio device, with multiple outputs, that map to the different hardware devices.

I always had trouble with it, but maybe it works for you. For example voicemeeter. Maybe you need voicemeeter banana, not sure: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

For 10 bucks you can also buy the DJ cable, that would result in two mono outputs.

Or just route "monitor" to your headphone and don't route master at all. I sometimes play just with my headphone, no speakers and all of that. I just twist the cue / master mix knob to master, and back again to cue when lining up a new song.

Mixing Bluetooth and wired will result in delay between the two devices. Not fun to mix.

• jdfnnl

Rather than two mono outputs, are there hi-fi usb audio cards / interfaces available that would simply add an additional output in addition to the stock 1/8" headphone jack? Why would I need a two channel external audio interface (Traktor AUDIO 2) if the system already has one? This total 3 devices and possibly one more than necessary for simple headphone track preview?

• lord-carlos

Traktor can only talk to a single interface at a time.

That is why you need one with 2x stereo out (4 channels)

Or use software to combine two hardware interfaces into a single virtual one.

• jdfnnl
    edited January 2023

Alternatively, would it be feasible using a decent single-channel audio interface that Windows10 can route separately from an audio preview app or possibly a separate instance of Traktor?

• lord-carlos

You want your traktor master out on one device, and a other software, such as VLC on another device?

Sure. Just make your default windows device whatever for VLC etc to use, and use another one in traktor settings.

-------------------

Like I said, you can also just map your headphone to whatever device. And then tell traktor to play the master to your headphones. This way you can switch back and fourth between master and cue.

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 295 Pro
    edited January 2023

I would not recommend bluetooth headphones for dj purposes. They have a high latency between triggering music and hearing music.

There is no need for a master output while practising, most people practise with headphones only. I would recommend to start dj with wired headphones from Traktor´s monitor output. And when you feel comfortable and want to expand your equipment, go for a small audio interface (NI Audio2) and some DJ headphones.

Try this setup.

Set your internal audio interface as monitor output in Traktor. (Leave the master output blank.) Plug wired headphones into your laptop.

To prelisten a song, load the track into a deck, move line fader down and activate headphones for the deck. Now turn the master/monitor knob to prelisten to the song.