Battery for dummies - how / where to save Kits / Presets / formats

cliff turner
cliff turner Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Battery 4

Confused with user presets / kits in battery .

in logic ,when I go to my user presets , they're listed there , but when I load them they're empty . I have moved my content to an external Lacie Rugged and have probably just stuffed something up . I don't think Ive lost the files , just in the wrong place .

Also what's the difference between a Kit and a Preset. I like having access at the top left drop down menu so ideally want to access things there .

Is a .nbkt a kit file and an .aupreset a kit file .

Somewhere along the line I created sample folders but not sure if they're meant to go with the .nbkt or .aupreset .

I'm in logic ( latest ) with a one year old iMac . Just upgraded to Monterey but had the same problem with Big Sur.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Cliff

Best Answer

• cliff turner
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Hi Kaiwan

Ok so deleting the Factory Library and the Battery file in Applications support and reinstalling the Factory Library direct onto my SSD has fixed the issue.

I was then left with a problem that when I saved a preset , it was saving empty .

Ended up closing everything , deleting all the presets and when I saved at this stage , it was ok .

Cheers

Cliff

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited February 2022

Hey @cliff turner, you might want to have a look at this guide we made for Battery ➡️ https://blog.native-instruments.com/a-beginners-guide-to-battery/

It should answer most of your questions 🙌

• cliff turner

Thanks for that Nico .

It answered questions ( which is always useful ) but not the ones I wanted . My previous created presets and kits aren't linking up properly . I spent a l to of time creating them , so I'd like not to do the whole process again.

Looking in my system my user presets are save in username/Library/Audio/presets/Native instruments / Battery 4 as .aupreset files .

My kits are save in two places , in the above folder as well as username / documents / native instruments / Battery 4 / Kits as .nbkt files with an adjacent Sample folder .

On logic when I go to load up my user presets ( top left drop down menu ) I get my list , but when I click on them , nothin loads into battery .

Is preset just a link to an existing Kit or is it a complete kit in itself ?

Outside the .aupreset , do I need the

When I go to library to import my kit folder , it briefly shows a list of all of the kits in the folder , but then only loads some of them . Is their a naming convention to the kits that could be causing this .

While I can probably reload all. the kits individually , I don't wan to find I've made some basic mistake that means further down the line I've got to do the same thing again . At the moment with some of my logic templates which have seperate tracks with a Batter " kick " kit , each time I load up , it keeps showing missing samples which I thought I'd resaved . I'm not an IT guru , but not a total newbie.

Once I've resurrected all my kits/ presets , I'll save everything as monoliths and hopefully that helps clarify things in the future .

Cheers

Cliff

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@cliff turner Saw that you raised a support ticket. Keep us updated on how it goes.

• cliff turner
    edited February 2022

So far no joy . Gone over some things . Gave all NI apps full disk access . All files shared . Only one user .

The main thing I'm trying to solve is why It only loads up some kits in my user folder to the Browser Library . As I mentioned. before , when I click rescan , it briefly shows all the kits , but when it finishes , only a handful are visible .

I can load kits via the drop down / File / open kit and just realised that I CAN load them when I go to the browser menu / Files , rather than Browser/ Library , which is where I've always looked before .

Cheers

Cliff

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@cliff turner Another user also ran into issues after moving content to an external drive and looks like they fixed it by deleting a Factory Folder in a Shared user folder. Maybe worth giving it a shot?

Check it out here: Battery 4 Factory Library on external drive

• cliff turner
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Hi Kaiwan

Ok so deleting the Factory Library and the Battery file in Applications support and reinstalling the Factory Library direct onto my SSD has fixed the issue.

I was then left with a problem that when I saved a preset , it was saving empty .

Ended up closing everything , deleting all the presets and when I saved at this stage , it was ok .

Cheers

Cliff