Dealing with gaps in Host Automation after deleting instruments?

Diyar
Diyar Member Posts: 13 Member

This is something that continually vexes me. Is there any way to "cascade" host automation assignments downward, so that there are no gaps? In this example, you can see that there is a huge gap between #36 and #85. That's 50 whole assignments going unused, resulting in some of my violin's parameters to be smushed into #511, making those knobs un-editable in the violin VST:

Is there any way to "close the gap," so to speak, between #36 and #85? If not, how do you guys work around this? Do you simply load another instance of Kontakt when your host assignments are about to fill up? What if you're like me and simply want to experiment and swap out instruments? How do you deal with the fact that deleting an instrument and replacing it with another will create a huge gap in your assignments?

I can't find anyone else with this same issue, so I feel a bit dumb, as if the solution is simple and I just haven't figured it out. But any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Diyar Unfortunately, once the instruments are deleted there is no way to re-organize the host automation IDs. Maybe some users have found a workaround, my first advice would be, first experiment, then decide for the instruments in your Multi and maybe create a new multi if needed. On a side note, since version 7.1.3, there is now 1024 host automation IDs available.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Diyar Unfortunately, once the instruments are deleted there is no way to re-organize the host automation IDs. Maybe some users have found a workaround, my first advice would be, first experiment, then decide for the instruments in your Multi and maybe create a new multi if needed. On a side note, since version 7.1.3, there is now 1024 host automation IDs available.

• Diyar
    Diyar Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi @Jeremy_NI , thank you so much for your response. It's really a shame that there's no way to reorganize those IDs. But I had no idea about that Kontakt 7 update - it'll make things so much easier for me. I really appreciate the heads-up!