Can't follow the demos. Scenes get in the way.

evergreen
evergreen Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Trying to learn Maschine. I have the Maschine 2 software running and am trying to create my first pattern. The problem is I cannot seem to find an empty space not already full of beats in which to start. Questions include:

1. I assume that every group contains a demo scene filled with patterns. Is this true? Do patterns and scenes BELONG to groups? I don't get the object relationships yet.
  2. Can I only create a pattern within an existing scene? Or are these object separate?
  3. How do I create a pattern without using a scene?
  4. Every time I select and load a new group, I get another scene. How do I select a new group and then get an empty scene to start with? I don't think I want to destroy the demo scenes, do I?

Thanks for your help. I'm just mystified.

Best Answer

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited January 2023 Answer βœ“

When you are browsing Groups in the Maschine software, at the bottom of the screen there's a little button that says +patterns that if you turn it on will load demo patterns when you load a group.

But generally yes, you would do well to understand the different relationships between objects/levels in Maschine. The manual covers that extensively, and so does Jef Gibbons here:

(Jef's tutorials are among the best on YouTube so just watch them until you're a master.)

Sounds like you're doing great so far so stick with it and don't get discouraged. πŸ™‚

Answers

• evergreen

Well, finally managed to solve at least part of my problem.

The trick was to go to the menu bar in the Maschine 2 software and select "New". This created a new empty project and none of the kits had scenes and patterns. Now I can start to follow various demos.

I assume that Project is at the top. Projects have groups (which I think of as tracks). Groups also have scenes which seems to be like a section (Into, verse, chorus, etc...). Patterns are like logic regions. It's where the notes go.

I've got a lot to learn still, but this has gotten me over my first obstacle!

• Peter Harris
    edited January 2023 Answer βœ“

When you are browsing Groups in the Maschine software, at the bottom of the screen there's a little button that says +patterns that if you turn it on will load demo patterns when you load a group.

But generally yes, you would do well to understand the different relationships between objects/levels in Maschine. The manual covers that extensively, and so does Jef Gibbons here:

(Jef's tutorials are among the best on YouTube so just watch them until you're a master.)

Sounds like you're doing great so far so stick with it and don't get discouraged. πŸ™‚

• evergreen

Peter: appreciate the help. I'll check out that video right now!

Thanks!

• Peter Harris

My pleasure. Just keep in mind that it's a bit of a learning curve at the beginning but don't get discouraged. You've got lots of fun stuff ahead! πŸ™‚