Can any of these products correctly notate West African drumming?

Philorganic
Philorganic Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

As per above question.

I am looking for a programme that will allow me to create West African rhythms with authentic sounding instruments and edit the rhythms as necessary.

Can that be done with NI ?

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Spotlight Collection : West Africa | Komplete (native-instruments.com)

Watch the video and listen to the audio demos, then download the manual to see what the library is capable of... It requires Kontakt Player to run (free download)... any other questions? post them here!!!

There is also a Demo you can download...

• Philorganic
    Answer ✓

Thanks for your reply, Blindeddie.

Ok, so watched the video and listen to all the 17 demos - impressive.

One thing I noticed in the video - input was by a piano type keyboard. Is that essential or can I do it with computer keyboard?

Hmmm and what about Theremin?

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Yes you can use the Computer Keyboard, In Kontakt Settings there is an option for "Use Komputer Keyboard for midi playback"

Unless the Theremin has Midi Output (which I am pretty sure they don't), you cannot control Kontakt with it.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓
  • Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Kontakt is only a Sampler.

answers in order…

No.

No.

the mixer allows you to mute the individual instruments. But since you cannot import your own sounds or midi, moot point.

again moot since you cannot import your own Midi/Scores

you could use your own Midi patterns/Scores by using a DAW to play the midi files, but if the midi files are the GM standard they will not play as expected as the midi “note to sound” mapping does not follow the GM standard.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Spotlight Collection : West Africa | Komplete (native-instruments.com)

Watch the video and listen to the audio demos, then download the manual to see what the library is capable of... It requires Kontakt Player to run (free download)... any other questions? post them here!!!

There is also a Demo you can download...

• Philorganic
    Answer ✓

Thanks for your reply, Blindeddie.

Ok, so watched the video and listen to all the 17 demos - impressive.

One thing I noticed in the video - input was by a piano type keyboard. Is that essential or can I do it with computer keyboard?

Hmmm and what about Theremin?

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Yes you can use the Computer Keyboard, In Kontakt Settings there is an option for "Use Komputer Keyboard for midi playback"

Unless the Theremin has Midi Output (which I am pretty sure they don't), you cannot control Kontakt with it.

• Philorganic

Ahh, no, I meant are there any sound files for Theremin?

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓
  • Philorganic

Thank you :-)

• Philorganic

Ok, I know I will find the answers in the manuals, but rather than spend a long time reading them and probably getting bogged down with the minutiae, I have a couple of points that need clearing up for me.

Can I import midis, MP3s into Kontakt and view them in music score form?

Can I then edit them and and new instruments?

Can I then playback the scores, mute instruments where necessary, in such a way that I can follow along on another instrument using the score as a backing track?

Can I export the newly created score as a midi/MP3?

Sorry to be a nuisance, but you guys know these and can answer me quickly to aid my decision making as to whether Kontakt is right for me.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Kontakt is only a Sampler.

answers in order…

No.

No.

the mixer allows you to mute the individual instruments. But since you cannot import your own sounds or midi, moot point.

again moot since you cannot import your own Midi/Scores

you could use your own Midi patterns/Scores by using a DAW to play the midi files, but if the midi files are the GM standard they will not play as expected as the midi “note to sound” mapping does not follow the GM standard.

• Philorganic

Ok, thanks for that. Unfortunately Kontakt does not do what I would like, therefore no good for me :-(