Traktor z1

Gigisyn
Gigisyn Member Posts: 10 Member

Hey!

I was wondering how I can listen to Itunes on Mac using the Traktor Z1 as a external audio device.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 295 Pro
    Answer ✓

If you want to stick with your setup, I would consider one of those cheap Behringer, t.mix, soundcraft USB-Mixer.

If you can afford the more expensive Z1, I would recommend that for your use case. You get the Traktor LE software in addition. Although you don't need to mix, you won't need to run more than one program to pre-listen and the interface might be louder. Also, you can use your iTunes playlists in Traktor LE.

This is just my opinion. 😉

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,214 Expert

Never owned a mac, but can't you select it in the list of sound output devices?

• Gigisyn

Thanks for your prompt reply My question was whether this is possible so that I can buy the Z1. In other forums I've read that the sound yes but the equalizer no because Z1 reads metadata and especially MIDI. Therefore Z1 needs Traktor software. I need to have an external sound card if possible with equalizer.

• lord-carlos

Oh yeah, no the Z1 is a midi controller I think.

You probably want a hardware mixer, for example A&H Xone 23C

• Gigisyn

Sure, but I was focusing on Z1 because it's small and I can carry it easily. This is one of the reasons, I wish I could try it before eventually buying it. So Z1 can listen songs from ITunes???

• c0nsul
    edited January 2023

Hi, you can listen to your iTunes music on every connected audio interface.

When you connect an audio interface, open Audio-MIDI-Setup.app (folder Programs> Utilities). The audio interface will be shown, now CTR-click on the interface a you can set the device to play all your computer´s audio output.

I don't know if the Z1 might be the best choice for you as it is built with Traktor in mind.

There are sound interfaces like from focusrite and others where the sound is routed into a virtual eq or into Ableton to eq on the connected computer.

Then there are sound interfaces from Behringer, soundcraft,.. for bands which have physical eq knobs and can be routed to a computer.

And, as lord-carlos mentioned, there are mixer with internal sound interface and physical eq knobs.

• Gigisyn

Thanks, could you then recommend an external sound card possibly with a physical equalizer that can be small in size to fit in a backpack together with the mac and other staff

• c0nsul
    edited January 2023

How do you want to use it?

Is it just to route your music through to eq before it goes into your stereo? Do you use DJ software or producing software? How many channels do you need (inputs and outputs)?

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/how-choose-audio-interface

• lord-carlos

Maybe a small PA mixer like this?

I'm not endorsing that product. More of a rough direction on where to look.

• Gigisyn

So I'm an Argentine tango dj so I don't need to mix, but I also need an external card for pre-listening. I use a mac and after using various software I've come back to itunes. Sometimes in some locations the mixer is not at hand so I need an equalizer to adjust the various tracks. This led me to use a Beheinger Xenyx 302 which I consider "lightweight". So I thought of the Z1 for reliability and above all for transport

• c0nsul
    edited January 2023

If you want to pre-listen, you will need a (light weight) dj software which can play more than one songs at a time und which routes the different signals into separated channels.

With iTunes you are not able to pre-listen even if you have an audio interface (or another sound source connected).

As far as I know, the Z1 comes with a "Light Edition" of Traktor which might be enough for your needs.

• Gigisyn

Of course you are right, I expressed myself badly. in fact I use iTunes in via usb output while I use another software like MIXX to listen to the song I'm going to propose. Sorry, you're right

• Gigisyn

https://www.thomann.de/dk/the_t.mix_micromix_2_usb.htm Is more or less like Beheinger Xenyx 302

• Gigisyn

Here it is

• c0nsul
    Answer ✓

If you want to stick with your setup, I would consider one of those cheap Behringer, t.mix, soundcraft USB-Mixer.

If you can afford the more expensive Z1, I would recommend that for your use case. You get the Traktor LE software in addition. Although you don't need to mix, you won't need to run more than one program to pre-listen and the interface might be louder. Also, you can use your iTunes playlists in Traktor LE.

This is just my opinion. 😉

• Gigisyn

Thank you 😊