Scarbee note duration

Don1990
Don1990 Member Posts: 66 Member

Hey everyone,

I love the scarbee basses and use them quite frequently. Only thing I was hoping for, is to increase the bass note duration. When I play melodies and sometimes want to stretch out the latest pitchbended note it gets cut off. Any way to change this? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Don1990 These were recorded samples form an actual bass, and like on an actual instrument the sounds stops at a given moment. I'm afraid there is no workaround that would still sound natural.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

All of the basses? Gets cut off? Or sounds weak, without attack and dies off fast?

• Don1990

Yes, all of the basses. Here is an example:

I'm holding down the note, not releasing it but the sound stops as you can hear/see.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Don1990 These were recorded samples form an actual bass, and like on an actual instrument the sounds stops at a given moment. I'm afraid there is no workaround that would still sound natural.

• Don1990

Hi @Jeremy_NI

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Pitty, but understandable! Thank you

• Gee_Flat

I remember why I didn't respond to this.

The note you play isn't even in the Pre-Bass range, but today I see that you have the instrument tuned up 2 octaves. While there are no rules in making sounds, that makes no sense if you're trying to emulate a bass.

Also, when you lift your finger off the note I hear a muted note get triggered, which suggests you've modified the parameters of the Release options. Cutting off the notes.

• Don1990

I am not trying to emulate a bass? A REALISTIC bass note gets cut off eventually, we all know that. It doesn't matter whether you pitch it 2 octaves or not, it still gets cut off at the same length.

Long story short: I use the Pre-Bass with effects to simulate a unique synth/electric guitar sound. Hence why I started this topic because a synth doesn't get cut off.

Anyway, NI already answered that this isn't possible through a support ticket.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

That's cool. I like creative thinking. But actually synth samples do get cut off until they are looped.

Fact is: sampled sounds will increase in frequency as they are raised in pitch, and a sample played 2 octaves above the original frequency will be 75% shorter.

• Don1990

"Fact is: sampled sounds will increase in frequency as they are raised in pitch, and a sample played 2 octaves above the original frequency will be 75% shorter."

Facts, that's why I purposely pitched it for the video to get my point across faster.

• Gee_Flat

If you had made that clear in your last comment I wouldn't have pontificated like a know-it-all blowhard.

• Don1990

lol! All good man, appreciate your help!

• lazerdriver
    lazerdriver Member Posts: 4 Member

I'm not sure if the problem described here is the same as the problem I am seeing, but maybe someone can help me understand what is going here.

Using the Scarbee Rick, I have noticed if there is overlap between notes, depending on the notes, I lose volume. So if I hit a note, then hit a second note before I release the first note, then the second note is about half volume. Also it seems to be frequency dependent. Some note combinations do it, some don't. If I play the same pattern using something like Prism Fingered Bass 2 (or just about any clean sounding bass other than Scarbee), then there is no problem. It just seems to be a problem with Scarbee.

In my examples, it is easy to clean it up when the overlap or sustain is not desired. But if the sustain is desired, then it seems I am SOL, unless there is some way to compensate for it.

I have attached and image of the pattern. In the image where the first note sustains a bit over the second, there is no problem. But where the second note sustains over the third one, the third note looses about half volume.