S8 + Live Input not working

William Tonkin-Howe
William Tonkin-Howe Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hi all,

I have 2 turntables I'm trying to route through my S8 + MBP laptop using Live input so I can record a set with vinyl - but I'm having no luck getting any sound to come through from the turntables in Live input mode at all. I've also had a pretty good look around the forums and haven't seen anyone else having this issue - so just wanted to check if it's me, something to do with my S8 or something else?

My setup:

• S8 (not sure if it's a mk1 or mk2, but I've had it about 6 years - so probably a mk1?)
  • Mac Book pro 2017ish - running Big Sur (11.7)
  • Traktor 3.3.0 (I also have v2.11.3)
  • 2x technics 1210M5G's

I have the two turntables plugged into channel C + D, set to phono.

What I've tried:

1. I can confirm both turntables play through the speakers in 'Direct Thru' mode, so I know they are plugged in correctly, but when I set either Deck C or D to Live input - I get nothing. So while I can play live, I can't use Traktor's internal recording function as it won't record in Direct Thru mode as it doesn't route the sound through the laptop.
  2. I have tried with both Traktor 3 & 2, same issue - so I'm leaning towards the S8 being the problem.
  3. I tried resetting my Traktor 3 settings to factory default, no difference
  4. Tried channels A+B as well, same issue

So am I missing something simple? Is there a way to reset the S8 directly? Or is this functionality just broken (everything else seems to work fine)?

I guess I could recored directly from the main output or booth into a line in, but that seems a bit converted when there is a function that should do this already without the faff. So I'm a bit stumped at this point what to try next so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Hello,

have you checked the rights for programs to get access to the inputs, we had right now a guy where the input was set but did not worked. After some update tis security setting got set back somehow and you maybe now have to allow access again for traktor to use the inputs.

He described it as follows:"Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Microphone. Turn access to the microphone on or off for each app in the list."

Answers

• Uwe303
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Hello,

have you checked the rights for programs to get access to the inputs, we had right now a guy where the input was set but did not worked. After some update tis security setting got set back somehow and you maybe now have to allow access again for traktor to use the inputs.

He described it as follows:"Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Microphone. Turn access to the microphone on or off for each app in the list."

• William Tonkin-Howe
    William Tonkin-Howe Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Awesome!! That totally worked thank you. I guess Traktor uses the mic channel for the input loop? Anyway, thanks so much for the quick response - I'm super pleased to have that working as expected.

A little more information for those that follow: Traktor needs access to the microphone so that must be turned on. This solved my problem, however if you still are not getting any sound through, I'd try turning everything else off and see if that works, if it does, then keep turning the other apps back until you find the one that is causing Traktor to not work.

Cheers!

• Uwe303

I guess mac just means every kind of input with mic input and in fact, with a preamp, a line in can be a mic channel. And it makes sense to me to apply this to all inputs.

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod

Indeed the wording is not quite intuitive - and it does not surprise me that, when prompted, many users think "Traktor wants to access my microphone? Hell no! What's next??"

The Knowledge Base team could at least release an article quickly after this routine had been implemented in 10.14 (Mojave). Due to the counterintuitive wording, many users do not find it though:

macOS Dialog: “*App Name* would like to access the microphone."