PHARLIGHT, and ASHLIGHT - very CPU hungry on a very powerful machine

CrystalmakeR
CrystalmakeR Member Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2023 in Kontakt

My machine: MacPro 2019 (Big Sur), 16 cores, + 200GB memory, etc...I can run in this beauty/beast whatever I want :-).

Recently I have upgraded my KU and got Pharlight and Ashlight :-).

I have noticed that these 2 instruments are very CPU hungry. I do not have any other vsti/etc what would be so demanding for the cpu. Can someone comment please?

Tagged:

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Yes, they are rather CPU hungry. At least certain presets. People who analyzed it have said that it is because of massive use of reverbs. You have strong maschine, so probably not a real problem. You should be able to run about 16 pathes of Light Libraries on your computer.

• CrystalmakeR

Thanks, clear! Indeed, I can run several instances of these libraries on my machine. No problem at all. Just wanted to confirm the high CPU usage.

Side note: As a classical composer/orchestrator I am not so much into sound design as such, but I have to admit some of the light patches are really nice and useful :-).

• Kubrak

That explains your RAM spec, which is real impressive. :-) I have only 64 GB, but for my purposes it is more than enought.

• CrystalmakeR

Yepp. I can load my huge template in less than a minute 😎

No worries, I have done many years with 64GB and was very satisfied with that amount, too πŸ˜€

Note: I do not recall anymore what and how many HW unit I had in the past. I sold all of them including my very 1st AKAI sampler (SXXXX). Today I am fully running ITB. I am also not a plugin collector, I have a very limited amount of them and I try to use them.

(Many many) years back (+-30 years) I was invited to a PhD defence where the student presented all sort of synthesis methods, one of them was granular...I was never into it to be honest but yesterday I gave the Lights couple of hours, mapped out some of the parameters to my MX12...hours were gone easily ;-).

• Kubrak

Yes, that is why it is CPU hungry. The delight costs mouthfull CPU ticks. ;-)

I know 64 GB will do for time beeing. So far I use up to 25 GB. But Kontakt libraries may be rather big. Take four strings of Stradivari Quartet and about 20 GB of RAM is gone....

• dexl
    dexl Member Posts: 49 Member

Try purging your library so it only takes up the amount of space required by the actual notes you play as opposed to loading all of it in the RAM at once.

• Kubrak

I know, so far I do not have to. I have enought RAM to fit in all content without purging.