Sample start in Kontakt 6

Robert Glotzbach
Robert Glotzbach Member Posts: 19 Member

Hey all...

Quick question; I have for samples in a group on the same note, and they are set to play at random in the "Group starts". I am trying to set starting points individually for each sample, but that does not seem to be possible. Whatever I try, it changes the starting point for all samples in that group.

Not possible?

Thanks, Robert

Best Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Should be 4 zones. One stacked on top of the other.

Drag the top zone left or right and it should reveal the next of the 3 remaining zones stacked below. You can cycle through the stacked zones using ctrl + click.

the manual 😶

hint: pop the 'Mapping Editor' off and as you click on zones you can easily manage the associated file start points in the Wave Editior.

• Robert Glotzbach
    Answer ✓

Oh wonderful, this did the trick.

Learned something new with your help... and yes; took out the manual and will use it before asking for help.

Thanks again :-)

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

Try editing the start points of samples in the 'Wave Editor', and/or create a separate group with copies of those samples with edited start positions.

You could also have those edited samples in zones with specific velocity trigger points.

• Robert Glotzbach

Thanks a lot Gee :-)

I was hoping to do it non-destructive in one group, but from your answer, i understand its not possible. I now allready started to edit the samples in Reaper.

Best regards, robert

• Gee_Flat

The Kontakt 'Wave Editor' is non-destructive. You're just moving the green coloured start marker to the point at which the sample should start.

• Robert Glotzbach

Oh sorry confused it with the sample editor. Well thats my whole point, if I do that, all other samples get the same starting point when in the same group.

Thank for answering, much appreciated.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

I think you're confused. If you dbl click a zone it opens the sample in the Kontakt 'Wave Editor'. There you can modify the start position of that sample. It shouldn't modify the other 3 samples.

• Robert Glotzbach

If I double click a zone it indeed opens one of the four samples in that zone.

And if I then select one of the other ones in the selection drop down and change the starting point of it, it really changes it for all four of them on that same note.

• Gee_Flat

I'm pretty sure that using the left/right buttons in that sample display in the 'Status Bar' - the one you have circled - will replace the sample for that zone.

It's not selecting the next zone, it's selecting the next sample in the folder and applying it to that zone.

• Robert Glotzbach

I have four samples on top of each other in one zone, so I dont want to select another zone but select another sample in it and then change its starting point separate from the other samples. Hope this makes sense?

Thank you for sticking with me :-)

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023

Don't confuse 'Groups' with 'Zones'. Groups hold multiple zones, but zones only hold one sample.

You want to trigger the group and have each sample in a zone start at different points. Right?

• Robert Glotzbach

I started by dropping 1 sample on a key (say for instance C1), then I dropped another sample on that same key and then two more. So I have four samples played by one midi note (in my case alternated randomly) That is a zone isn't it? At least its what I understand checking the internet..... hopefully i'm wrong.

• Gee_Flat
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Should be 4 zones. One stacked on top of the other.

Drag the top zone left or right and it should reveal the next of the 3 remaining zones stacked below. You can cycle through the stacked zones using ctrl + click.

the manual 😶

hint: pop the 'Mapping Editor' off and as you click on zones you can easily manage the associated file start points in the Wave Editior.

• Robert Glotzbach
    Answer ✓

Oh wonderful, this did the trick.

Learned something new with your help... and yes; took out the manual and will use it before asking for help.

Thanks again :-)