Mapping a Kontrol F1

Ed M
Ed M Member Posts: 144 Advisor

Hi,

I have a Kontrol F1 lying around. Since it has quite a few buttons, pads, knobs and sliders I was wondering if it is possible to midi map them? I want to use the controller in Ableton or in Maschine to control plugin parameters or automations.

I suppose it should be possible, and if so, do any of you have a link to tutorials or videos of this process?

I'm not using Traktor at the moment so I want to give this piece of hardware a second life.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Absolutely! It's a great device to MIDI map. It's super easy, maps just like any controller. I especially like it for Maschine but you can use it with any DAW. (Ableton maps very nicely.) There is a little info from the old forum here:

In fact people also use it as a lighting controller. This video demonstrates how flexible it is and how to use the NI Controller Editor:

• Ed M

Thanks @Peter Harris for these resources. I gonna delve in, and try to come up something that works for me

• Peter Harris

My pleasure. This also has some interesting ideas. It's an oldie but goodie, re: syncing Traktor and Maschine:

• Ed M

Funny you mention this, because that was one of the video's that seduced me into buying my Maschine. Unfortunately after getting the Maschine I found out the computer I had back in those days was too weak to run both apps at the same time. My current computer should be able to pull this off with ease, if only I still had my Traktor deck...

• Peter Harris

I've got an extra X1 Mk1 if you end up jumping back in. 😉

I had a similar situation, with an inadequate and maddening computer that for a couple of years that caused me to give up on PCs all together for a while. That's how I ended up with an Akai MPC One (standalone) first so I wasn't dependent on a computer.

Then the Akai drove me nuts so I ended up switching over to an M+. I loved it, leading to an expansion addiction (ended up buying all of them eventually) then Komplete 13UCE. Then I was so tempted by all the fun stuff you couldn't run on the + but only in controller mode, so you guessed it: I ended up buying a new computer (they've gotten so much cheaper since my last one) so I could get the best of both worlds. Ah, it's the circle of life!!!

Then I started playing with Traktor DJ because a license came with my other NI stuff. Traktor was so much fun I figured it was cheaper to buy an S2 MK3 than cough up for a full license of Traktor Pro 3 (at least that was my rationale). Then that led to a used F1, then a X1 Mk1 then X1 Mk2. 🤣

Holy s@#$, when I write it out like that I sound exactly like a junkie! But I love all of it and it gives me passion and purpose and a million musical things I want to wake up for every day. 🥳

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

I’d love to have an F1, if you don’t want it I could buy it from you.

Im also an NI junkie, the s4mk2 is awesome, I’m still running traktor pro 2, don’t see why to get T3. Also got an x1mk1, so it gives me flexibility bcs I’m running T2 on an older MacBook Pro with high Sierra I believe. Anyway, the F1 seems awesome!

• Ed M

I going to keep it, it's far too versatile. I am probably going to buy a Traktor controller sooner or later.