How to connect KK S61 MK2 with MIDI to external synth

Mark Oxley
Mark Oxley Member Posts: 131 Helper

Hi all and happy new year.

Ive just purchased the DeepMind12 desktop version and I’m trying to hook it up to my Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 keyboard via MIDI out to MIDI in to trigger the synth. There seems to be no way to get into MIDI setup options on the keyboard to direct the MIDI to an external source or I’m missing something somewhere? If I load the KK software on my computer I can select MIDI output to external and it works. Do I really need to use the software everytime? Seems a bit odd that i can’t output MIDI directly to other hardware without using a computer.

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

WHen the keyboard is connected to a PC via USB the MIDI Out on the keyboard is a system MIDI out, not a keyboard direct MIDI out so it will send MIDI out from the computer hence the need to take the MIDI In from the keyboard into the computer and rout it via software/daw to the MIDI output.

If you disconnect the keyboard fromt he computer then the MIDI output switches to become a MIDI from the keyboard.

So either rout via software or disconnect the keyboard from the computer to send MIDI to external hardware.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

WHen the keyboard is connected to a PC via USB the MIDI Out on the keyboard is a system MIDI out, not a keyboard direct MIDI out so it will send MIDI out from the computer hence the need to take the MIDI In from the keyboard into the computer and rout it via software/daw to the MIDI output.

If you disconnect the keyboard fromt he computer then the MIDI output switches to become a MIDI from the keyboard.

So either rout via software or disconnect the keyboard from the computer to send MIDI to external hardware.

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 131 Helper

Thanks, I can confirm that worked.