Is it NOT possible to use Kontakt 6.x in Komplete Kontrol once K7 is installed?

Vocalpoint
Vocalpoint Member Posts: 849 Guru

All

After making my move to Komplete 14 - and starting to test the waters with Kontakt 7 - I am wondering if it's possible to continue using K6.71 as my daily driver within Komplete Kontrol until K7 gets some additional miles on it AND is considered stable enough to move to.

I am reading about all sorts of crash reports and other negatives with K7 that are making me wonder if I should just stay put with K6.71 and move over to K7 at a later time.

Before anyone chimes in on uninstalling K7 to get K6 back in the spotlight - that's really not where I want to go. I do want to start using K7 - put it through its paces (either standalone or within KK if that's possible) but I am simply not ready to go all in on it just yet.

If anyone knows how to make K6 "reappear" within KK - I would love to hear about it. This is for a Windows 10 Pro (22H2) build if that matters.

Cheers!

VP

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited December 2022

I never use KK, but I did a little test.

If I click on 'Edit View', it opens the instrument in K6. 😏

• Vocalpoint
    edited December 2022

Gee_Flat

I see "Edit View" - within KK - but not exactly sure how that helps.

In my case - when I fire up KK 2.81 (Windows 10) AND use it with my S61 KK keyboard - and hit Browser and select the NI Instruments stash - the only thing I see is a tile called "Kontakt" and once selected - I am in K7 whether I like it or not. There is NO K6 tile available anywhere to select.

And in your testing - do you have K7 full installed alongside K6?

Appreciate an update when you have a sec.

Cheers

VP

• Gee_Flat

I have the K7 Player. Never thought of that.

'Edit VIew' can be accessed either form the 'View Menu' or the dropdown menu in the App.

• Gee_Flat
    edited December 2022

Looks like you edited your reply to say you "see" the edit view.

Anyway, when I load an instrument, it says it's K7, so when choosing 'additional view', the instrument can't be edited. Just the gears icon.

So it's obvious that because I don't have the Full version of K7, when I choose 'edit view' it loads K6 for me.

Stop the insanity!

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

In Preferences->Plugins, there's a tickbox to always use latest versions of NI plugins, try that.

• Vocalpoint
    edited December 2022

EvilDragon

Tried that - does not seem to do anything whatsoever.

AND - I finally found out what this actually does:

• This determines whether Library content is loaded with the latest version of the associated plug-in or with the minimum supported version.

It appears that NI considers K6.71 to not qualify as a "minimum supported version".

This is very annoying from a KK/User perspective especially for the fact that NI seems to automatically assume that the latest version of any of their tools is mature, rock solid and ready to supplant all other previous versions of said tool regardless of what the user's situation is.

I am so glad that I have not yet started to do bulk Patch Resaves and so on using K7 as this would really make things difficult until such time that K7 is actually ready for primetime.

I will assume that a complete removal of K7 AND the new Factory library would probably set things right but that is a nuclear option in my opinion and does not allow one to properly test K7 in parallel with a known mature (and stable) 6.71.

VP

• Vocalpoint

Ok - I have managed to get this working but it's not as "tight" as being able to use K6.71 from my Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2.

If I open KK and manually load a VST by clicking the dropdown arrow next to the magnifying glass on the top left portion of the KK interface (next to the KK banner) - I can choose Instruments and either VST3 or VST and load K6.71 this way.

It first loads with a banner stating Kontakt 6 - No Library Loaded - but I can then swing over to View and enable the three different views available ranging from simple to full blown Edit View (as Gee_Flat noted).

It's all manual with no KK previews or anything else that is part of the KK experience via the hardware but at least I can load any main library with the added bonus of being able access my third party libraries that are accessed via the Files area - so that it worth the price of manual by itself.

While it would be excellent to have KK list BOTH versions of Kontakt so one can use the KK S61 MK2 experience - I think I can manage with this for now.

Cheers

VP

• Gee_Flat
  • Gee_Flat

I think it has to be hard coded, because the plugins have different extensions. Just my guess.